Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

2017 Starboard Ultrakode 86 First Impressions / Review

Firstly a little bit about myself, so that when I get round to using the board, it will be easier to see my perspective from riding it. I am 16, and about 75kg, riding mainly in cross-on conditions at branksome dene chine. This will be my main wave board, with a Kode Freewave 103 for lighter winds and bigger sails. With this board I'll be using 2016 Severne Blades from 4.2 to 5.3 , anywhere from 15knots upwards. Previously I've had the '13 , '14 and '15 iterations of the Kode 82 twin, so I bought the 86 with the reasoning that it would fulfill the same purpose of getting planing quickly, jumping well and riding loosely in cross-on wind swell, with the added benefit of being able to experiment with fin options.

Luckily I was able to get an Ultrakode from the first batch of 2017 Starboards landing in the UK. I am hoping to use it later this week so I will add updates on this thread for actual on water performance. Firstly, the board looks great. The colors are really vibrant and I love the slightly exposed carbon look that is on the rail. On picking it up, the first thing I noticed was the lightness compared to my 2015 Kode 82, which is by no means heavy, but the ultracore construction of the board makes it feel really light in the hands. My scales weighed the board at 6.6kg, which is about 200g lighter than my 2015 Kode 82. I went for the ultracore hyrbid, mainly because of the price of the reflex option, and for me I think the reflex would be slightly unnecessary. I see the reflex models as more of a premium elite-team only board. The fittings feel premium, and I love the drake deluxe straps , and the fact that they match the colour to the deck of the board. Onto the starbox...perhaps slightly controversial on here, but I think that the starbox is a genuine innovation which will stick around. Although I do not own any multifin sets which I would use on this board, I can see the appeal for people with existing slotbox or US box fin sets. The fins supplied are so quick to install. The notch in the front of the fin sits happily into the brass insert, which you can move to set to your preferred position. The fin then pivots into the box and a couple of turns of a screwdriver tighten the fin in place. For now I'm going to try it as a thruster, and perhaps try it as a twin fin for extra looseness. There is the option for a quad upgrade pack, but for the riding I do, mainly in side onshore conditons, I think I will prefer the speed and looseness of a thruster or twin setup. When comparing it side-by-side with my 2015 Kode 82, the outline looks smaller despite the higher quoted volume, and you can see that the tail is slightly wider and the nose is shorter and has less rocker. When speaking to Tiesda , he told me that the lowered nose should make the ultrakode even faster than the previous kodes, with a little more control.

Hopefully I will be able to report back on performance later this week

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13646928_1093927204029726_1642438058_o.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	14230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13844184_1093927240696389_1491226132_o.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	14231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13901708_1093927220696391_1860975017_o.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	14232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13918613_1093927234029723_407256534_o.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	14233
    Riding: Ultrakode 86 , Kode Freewave 103 , Severne Blades 4.2-5.3 , Severne Gator 6.5

Team Rider for Poole Harbour Watersports , Severne Sails UK and Starboard UK.

GOOD STUFF !!
    Nice to know the hardware fits like it was designed for the board. Rare indeed. Lightweight is the best for early planing and quick moves, but sometimes does rattle the teeth in choppy waters overpowered.
    With slalom kits, it's acknowledged that sometimes you have to hammer (rubber mallet), the fin into the finbox with lots of force. I don't, I just sand down the sides of the base for a tight fit, not a hammer fit.
    Looking to hear from your performance report, hopefully soon!

Nice write up and start of whats gonna be an excellent review I guess
    Do you have pics of the rail shape?
    I found them on the Kode rather soft and low grip so wonder if they made them sharper when they reduced the rocker.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

I certainly found that the fins were perfect in terms of fit in the box, enough resistance to hold them tightly, but super easy to fit too. They've definitely thought the hardware through, I think they are using new brass inserts too, which don't get stripped out as easily as the slotbox ones. All nice little features which make the board a better experience
    Riding: Ultrakode 86 , Kode Freewave 103 , Severne Blades 4.2-5.3 , Severne Gator 6.5

@Jeroensurf , unfortunately I do not have any better pics of the rails at the moment but I will take some before I use it. I certainly noticed that the rail seemed thicker compared to my 82, since they share a similar outline, the 86 has slightly more volume packed into the thickness of the board. The deck of my older kode certainly seemed very flat between the footstraps in comparison. I think they may have made the rail slightly sharper but I will have to take some more photos and compare. I quite liked the soft rail of the older kode, I find that it makes it super fun in small onshore waves, but I suppose than in bigger cross-off conditions with proper swell, a sharper rail would allow more grip and drive through the bottom turn.

In the surfboard industry, there is a universally "best" size or rail, and tucked hard edge around 2" thick, tapering to a slightly thicker deck in the center of the board (the stringer). Obviously, heavier rider's can ride thicker rails, while lighter weight rider's need often need thinner rails.
    When you go smaller than 2", the rail is easy to sink and drive, but often let's go from lack of surface area, something like a spinout at full pressure during a critical turn. It's possible to make a thinner rail hold in better, but it requires absolutely round rails, no tuck at all, no edge, so it's dull and imprecise in response.
    Conversely, when you go thicker in the rail, you need a harder edge, less tuck to keep similar holding power and quickness rail to rail, but it's harder to hold down longer for a long drawn out powered bottom turn. More weight does help, but surprisingly, lots of heavier and bigger surfers prefer thin rails just like their 70 kg brethen need.
    On a windsurf board, it needs to carry the 20 lbs rig all the time, the feet are set in exactly ONE spot, and wave sailing is always on waves slower and usually flatter in steepness than surfing waves, so the rail can be close to 50% thicker without hurting holding power during powerful turns.
    Basically, what this all means is that designers, the shapers, can vary the thickness from year to year depending on who is the team rider's, and what kind of waves are the "preferred" waves in terms of speed, steepness, and thickness.

Great thread, looking forward to hear more when you have sailed it a bit. I have the 2013 kode 82L and love it so it will be great hearing your comparison on this one compared to the older models.