Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raceboard Worlds 2016 Australia

Hi all Raceboarder's in the UK,

Most of you should be aware that the 2016 World Championships are being held in Brisbane Australia in November.

Rumour has it no competitors from the UK are attending.

There are a few that think you are all pussy's ... I hope this is not the case.

It's not to late to book and get over here, would love to see you in Brisbane.
    Last edited by AussieRBDude; 8th August 2016 at 12:23 PM.

Weird that no UK racers went to this event – which has now happened.

(I guess the above post wasn't exactly very welcoming, but hey.)

What is the background to this story? Was it just too expensive for Uk sailors to take a raceboard over to Australia?
    Or is the British fleet simply in terminal decline?

The event has not been covered either by all the usual windsurfing sites – or am I just looking in the wrong places?

The worry with all niche groups in our sport is that they only talk to each other.
    For sure, there's probably some Facebook group somewhere – like a clearing in a faraway dense forest that on-one else can ever find.

http://www.ausraceboard.org/results/
    Last edited by basher; 29th November 2016 at 01:33 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    There are many webpages dedicated to raceboards, it is a varied mix of nationalities with established and growing interest. There are at least six sailmakers, that I can quickly think of, that make dedicated raceboard sails. The availability of new sails being one of the factors that allow more serious competition to take place.
    Last edited by Navegante; 29th November 2016 at 05:36 AM.

I'm sure there are plenty of people still racing raceboards, and there are many places in the world where local conditions are ideally suited to just that – but where are they and who do they talk to?
    How is the rest of the world going to know they exist?

We don't hear about race board stuff in magazines – and the magazines are few and far between nowadays.

So, in the modern world, we might do a search via google and Facebook etc. But my own search didn't come up with much.

Perhaps someone can add some useful links.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Weird that no UK racers went to this event which has now happened.
    So, how would they get their three metre ninety long kit with all the sails down there without some sort of sponsored assistance? I think you'll find that's the reason, it's not for the lack of capability, our riders are more than up to dealing out a thrashing to the convicts it's just the logistics of it all.

Oh and in answer to your concern about information, there are raceboard groups on facebook as well as the resurgent Div 2 collection of opportunities to return to a more civilised era..
    Last edited by Derek Rides; 29th November 2016 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Rides View Post
    So, how would they get their three metre ninety long kit with all the sails down there without some sort of sponsored assistance? I think you'll find that's the reason, it's not for the lack of capability, our riders are more than up to dealing out a thrashing to the convicts it's just the logistics of it all.

The NZ sailors took a container across.
    Severne supported the event well by making sure lots of sails were available.
    The aussies scoured the country to provide a load of boards for other aussies to use.
    and a scattering turned up from other countries
    By all accounts it was an exceptionally well run event, with live tracking, a great race officer and good winds.

check the photos

So it was because Demon Sails wouldn't sponsor their riders for the trip then?

Oh and here is the facebook group, 600 strong and that Aussie event had 90 participants without much from the rest of us.