Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

logistics of keeping van / kit at coast

Live london. windsurf Southend.
    Was driving down but it stiffens me up too much (Im old !). live and work next to station that goes direct to shoeburyness so exploring leaving van there with kit in it . Issues are :

1) van needs to be 5.4m long roughly which doesnt fit in 4.8m garage
    2) park on public road with deadlocks , I guess find a quieter part of town. probably not v secure but maybe best option ?
    3) buy a flat/house with parking space. but bit expensive/committing
    4) get a double garage and a car and just drive down to beach with 1 board . would involve leaving rig or two on roof rack though. which would get stolen eventually ( maybe not with good locks ?). car with roofbox doesnt fit into garage

Does anybody do something like this and have any thoughts please ?

What about trying to rent a garage from someone in Southend? Cheap estate car to leave parked on the street, and train to and from?

Quote Originally Posted by Taka2015 View Post
    What about trying to rent a garage from someone in Southend? Cheap estate car to leave parked on the street, and train to and from?
    thanks
    then take take one board on the rack and put the spare rig(s) in the car . Probably fit a 430 mast in the back of an E-Class. Parking a van on the street is more likely to get hassle from locals / police you think ?
    Boot Space (Rear Seats Folded)
    E-Class (2010+) 1950
    Superb Estate 1865
    Mondeo Estate 1733
    A6 Avant 1660
    300C Touring 1602
    V70 1600

You should be able to easily fit everything in an estate if the front seat folds flat. I use to lug 2 largish boards (131 & 101), 5 sails, 4 masts (up to 460) & everything else in my old Outlander & they're smaller than things like Mondeo estates.

Rent a garrage + buy a banger estate. If you remove the front passenger seat you can get almost any amount of kit in an estate, 2 or 3 boards, rigs etc. YOu could even get changed in the garrage and drive to the beech in your suit!

I don't believe it makes financial sense.

Cost of car + running cost, cost of garage rental, train fares & kit cost.

You could take out the garage cost but I wouldn't leave a car full of kit parked at Southend (or anywhere) for a period of time.

It's not like you get that many windy days in Southend to make it viable.

I came up with a similar contingency plan when health looked like it would stop me driving long distances. Idea was to rent a garage in Havant and stick old car packed with gear in it - 15 mins to Hayling or West Witts.

I can get up to 4 boards, six sails, 3 masts, 2 booms and 2 adults in an old Renault Grand Scenic (fold flat front seat). But its a lot more pleasant with 2 boards rather than 4, which is my standard approach.