Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    For security, you have to rent an enclosed garage, no matter what vehicle you use.
    In a Toyota Yaris, all inside, one of the local sailors puts FOUR wave riding boards (one stubby, one quad, , one medium wind Flikka slalom, and one single fin bump n jump board), two masts, two booms, four wave sails, and drives around normally mostly by himself, but has room behind the driver side for his 5'2" tall girlfriend.
    A Yaris, if you don't know, is smaller than a Honda Civic. Just take out the rear and front seats.

thanks guys , yes get a garage is essential i agree. So I need to buy/rent one near the station. And very true a car will work. What about a van though :
    good:
    a) easier to store more stuff
    b) safer whilst on water and rest of stuff in van
    c) somewhere warm to change in winter !
    bad:
    1) harder to park on road
    2) might lead to trouble with locals if i park in front of their house ?

Get both a swb van will easily fit in a garage that is 5m and modern kit fits in the back and if it doesn't you aren't really driving far so no worries.

yes a SWB t5 is 4.9m long and holds 2.35m without extending into the seat area even (ie could squeeze in 560 mast even) . sounds good thanks !

Another option for you may be to join Thorpe Bay sailing club and store your kit there. Good 10min walk from the station but the fees dont look too high compared to keeping a van on the road. You can sail TB in everything apart from a North Easterly which is East Beach.

And one final option, buy a small house or flat with a garage, then rent the house or flat out and keep the garage as your storage locker, make the financials work by running the property at a bit of a loss but ultimately you get a garage and an appreciating asset. Even better get one with 2 garages and rent the other garage out as well.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Quote Originally Posted by jknhismassivevan View Post
    And one final option, buy a small house or flat with a garage, then rent the house or flat out and keep the garage as your storage locker, make the financials work by running the property at a bit of a loss but ultimately you get a garage and an appreciating asset. Even better get one with 2 garages and rent the other garage out as well.
    Some of my gear lives in the shed of my parents holiday home which is sometimes rented out! Can be a pain if I can't get access but it mostly works.