Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best cheap to insure windsurf vehicle for 18 year old

Looking to send my son off to Uni with a vehicle that wont break the bank to insure but can also carry kit reasonable well inside.

He has been driving a Toyota Aygo but it really is to small and impractical for kit as the boot is 6 inches deep and the seat design combined with a very small gap between the rear seats the low roof roof makes and with boot door being the glass only it is really impractical. You can just get one board in and a couple of sails but it is to much of a squeeze.

Anyone got experience of other cheap to insure cars that work well for windsurfing, a skoda fabia looks like a good bet on paper but dont know how the seats work but it looks cheap to insure.
    Any other suggestions for around 2-3k for the vehicle, the insurance costs are going to be the deciding factor

Cheers

Whilst a rather long time ago now my uni car was the old style polo 'bread van' hatch back. The advantage being it had a very square back so could accommodate boards, the polo cl F reg was cheap to insure and ideal at the time. The skoda fabia is pretty much the modern incarnation of it (as its a polo with a skoda hat). I also had a fabia VRs on a 04 plate for a few years too and if I recall could fit most of a quiver in it, not needing to resort the roof for much the back seat split and the front seat full reclined.

In essence think you've already knocked the nail on the head there skoda fabia!!

Quote Originally Posted by #Ed View Post
    Whilst a rather long time ago now my uni car was the old style polo 'bread van' hatch back. The advantage being it had a very square back so could accommodate boards, the polo cl F reg was cheap to insure and ideal at the time. The skoda fabia is pretty much the modern incarnation of it (as its a polo with a skoda hat). I also had a fabia VRs on a 04 plate for a few years too and if I recall could fit most of a quiver in it, not needing to resort the roof for much the back seat split and the front seat full reclined.

In essence think you've already knocked the nail on the head there skoda fabia!!
    I had the same.

I'd go for any smallish car that looks like an estate and has roof rails on. Fiat Panda? pretty crap car but you'd get a decent one for 2k just need roof rails for the top that you can leave on and the back seats will fold down to give you a decent boot space.

Good call on the fiat panda, I'd add Honda Jazz to the list; square, reliable and cheap. Plus I reckon finding one with one old lady owner would easy!!

Peugeot 206 Estate?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Used_Peugeot_206_2004_Silver_Estate_Petrol_Manual_for_Sale_in_Norfolk_UK.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	14426

Ford Focus estate diesel, especially the smaller engine size ones.
    Might not be quite the cheapest, but a very reliable, cheap to run car with plenty of room for storage, roof rack etc.

Second vote for the Focus, even the hatch back can fit a fair bit of kit in.