Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

uphauling lower back pain

Back pain only an issue doing this , on windy days waterstarting is fine.But need to do a lot of light wind small board stuff in prep for wave sailing.
    Can anybody add to these tips please ?

1) I have a feeling im going too low and rounding my lower back , so will be keeping more upright
    2) lean on windward rail to assist the sail up
    3) wait for sail to get in right position before uphauling
    4) all carbon rig
    5) warm up
    6) improve squat flexibility
    7) strengthen core so its stronger than lower back

If you don't go low you will put even more pressure on the back due to bending over at the waist. If I'm uphauling my largest sail, I try to bend at the knees at first, similar to the Deadlift weight training exercise. Then feed the rope through the hands one after the other as I straighten legs.

If I have to uphaul that sail enough times in a session my back will still get tired out eventually.

Try an EASY UPHAUL system.
    It places the load on your thighs, and you lean back to lift the sail to 45 degrees, then use your arms from there. Once up to 45 degrees, the water is off the sail, and it's much easier to lift. Lots of Formula sailors use Easy Up's, to faciliate uphauling sails in the 9-12 meter range.

Whatever you do, don't try an easy uphaul system.

Bend your knees more when lifting any weight, buy a lighter rig to help this issue.

Do core body exercises to help support your bad back.

If the problem persists, then stop using big rigs.

If you use 8m+ rigs in conditions where you can't waterstart, then a bad back comes with the territory.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Whatever you do, don't try an easy uphaul system.

Bend your knees more when lifting any weight, buy a lighter rig to help this issue.

Do core body exercises to help support your bad back.

If the problem persists, then stop using big rigs.

If you use 8m+ rigs in conditions where you can't waterstart, then a bad back comes with the territory.
    Geez, at the US National Formula Races at Berkeley 3 year's ago, EVERYONE used the Easy Uphaul except for Paolo, who's a gorilla. Even his good bud Willem used one.
    I guess they examples are poor for the average windsurfer with a bad back.

Ive attached a thick elastic band (crossfit pullup assist thing ) to the leg of my sturdy desk and been practicing. Need to go lowish to avoid pain but going ass to floor rounds my lower back and thus hurts it.Optimum seems to be thigh parallel to floor Will do 100 a day 6 days a week and report how it feels next time ( really feel my core working , and nothing in my back so will hope this improves my muscle activation ). of course it will be tougher on the water.
    Ive ordered the easy uphaul.Thanks .Worth a try for sure
    I had this problem with a 5.2m on 100% carbon on a 10kt day ...pathetic !!
    And yes i never use above 5.2m unless waterstarting

Quote Originally Posted by lamboption View Post
    Ive attached a thick elastic band (crossfit pullup assist thing ) to the leg of my sturdy desk and been practicing. Need to go lowish to avoid pain but going ass to floor rounds my lower back and thus hurts it.Optimum seems to be thigh parallel to floor Will do 100 a day 6 days a week and report how it feels next time ( really feel my core working , and nothing in my back so will hope this improves my muscle activation ). of course it will be tougher on the water.
    Ive ordered the easy uphaul.Thanks .Worth a try for sure
    I had this problem with a 5.2m on 100% carbon on a 10kt day ...pathetic !!
    And yes i never use above 5.2m unless waterstarting
    In weight training, in the Squat exercise for instance, going lower than the thighs being parallel to the floor is generally not recommended for anyone with a dodgy back, or even people who have a good back but don't have good body proportions for that exercise (generally tall people with long legs).

So you are right not to go ass to floor.

Try doing back extensions if you need to strengthen the lower back in a safe manner.