Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Al of the above is fine
    but the single most useful thing to do is have a long up haul that it is not tied short/tight to the base of the mast or extension. Add a shock cord to the end of it.
    It also helps a lot having knots in the uphaul at closer distance to each other.

Then keep your legs slightly bent, back relatively straight and let the weight of your body do the initial work.

Cheers

ps standing upright on the board holding the end of the uphaul your arms should be on a straight line with the uphaul leading to the head of the boom.
    Last edited by Navegante; 9th September 2016 at 03:53 PM.

Interesting. I have quite serious and long standing lower back problems, but I've never had an issue uphauling. I do have a very strong core, but ultimately I guess everyone's back is different. What size sail are you using? My largest is a 5.9, as I get back pain in very light winds with anything larger. I've often suspected a larger sail would hurt my back when uphauling, but I've never tried one because I know as soon as the wind dropped I'd be in a lot of pain.

thanks for all that guys. will be keeping my ass far from the floor .
    max 5.2m for uphauling for me
    I have some serious body issues but lets see if all this lets me go out in light winds more often !

Doing squats solved my back problem, took 6 months of regular work 10 or so a day to do it though..

Some guys I see make uphauling harder work than it needs to be by positioning the board across the wind.....as per beginner technique. Any big sail is going to be hard work that way especially if the sail has cams or just some decent shaping and a loose leech. Things become much easier if the board is pointed partly upwind to allow the wind under the luff. You only have to get the mast partly out of the water and then let the wind do the rest of the work. The board is also more likely to start moving forward which helps the stability and also helps drain water from the leech of the sail. Balance on the board is a little more tricky but should not be a problem for intermediates and better.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post

If you use 8m+ rigs in conditions where you can't waterstart, then a bad back comes with the territory.
    Not really. Inland many of us will sail with a big rig a lot of the time. On a wide and floaty board standing on the rail really helps get that initial awkward release sorted then momentum or the wind does the rest of the work. Mind you, in those lighter winds the rig doesn't end up in the water too often and certainly far less often than a good day in the salty stuff. Sailing often inland seems to help build technique as well as core strength to help with bigger rigs. All the core strength is good to help cope with the usual double the average wind speed gusts we have to put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by lamboption View Post
    Back pain only an issue doing this , on windy days waterstarting is fine.But need to do a lot of light wind small board stuff in prep for wave sailing.
    Can anybody add to these tips please ?

1) I have a feeling im going too low and rounding my lower back , so will be keeping more upright
    2) lean on windward rail to assist the sail up
    3) wait for sail to get in right position before uphauling
    4) all carbon rig
    5) warm up
    6) improve squat flexibility
    7) strengthen core so its stronger than lower back
    I think keeping your weight even on both feet and pulling square on helps. I don't know about uphauling on wave boards, but some modern slalom boards have little volume in the nose and if you have your feet either side of the mast foot the nose of the board sinks. So you end up compensating by putting more weight on the back foot and pulling the sail up at an angle.