Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First back loop attempts

Can anyone advise me? I have had a few attempts at the back loop but seem to be getting stuck at the top (before landing on my back) if that makes sense. I am sure I have enough speed/height and I can definitely feel good rotation off the lip but don't seem to be able to get the board past 9/10 o'clock on a port tack.

Good thread JoB as that is happening to me too kinda - not that I am exactly attempting them, more "having a look". I'm not the type (or at least the age!) to chuck myself at it 100% - I want some control first - so I want to be able to gradually increase the rotation while I get the feel for it (this seems to be what good back loopers do anyway when you watch them - i.e. go up and then gradually rotate in a controlled manner on the way down). So I'm hoping the answers in this thread are not of the "MTFU and chuck yourself into it" variety because I won't be doing that.

Note to self - you hardly ever windsurf. you will never learn a back loop. stop kidding yourself
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

I can't do them, but have being having a feel as it were after reading Jem Hall article on them a while back. I'm not sure what's meant by can't get past 9/10 o'clock though. Can you explain more?

I'm at the stage where I find a steep ramp, jump vertically then put the nose of the board through the wind so that it gets to what I'd call 1 o'clock ish then pulling it back through the wind, landing and sailing off. Jem's article worked along the lines of get to that point, learn how to land nose first, then try and go the rest of the way round. When I say 1 I mean I'm sailing along on starboard tack with the board on the water and pointing to 9 o'clock, the nose goes to 11 o'clock as I hit a steep ramp then it's going to 1 o'clock and into the wind before I chicken out and bring it back down.

I've landed a few (evidence on my blog). The trick for me to stop getting stuck at the top was to tuck up the back leg and swing your hips over the tail of the board, so you aren't dangling like a spider and blocking the rotation.

Then the next thing to practice is getting your back hand waaay down the boom, that helps make the rotation controllable.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Cheers Rod, what you say seems to make sence but can I ask how soon to tuck up back leg? I will be trying this the next time we have wind. Just had a run of good days here in Rhosneigr so hopefully it will return soon.

This is a very comprehensive article by Andy King on the K4 website. It was put up quite recently.
    It has photographs, video and text that explains how to build up and plan your progress.

https://www.k4fins.com/2016/06/11/ba...ion-andy-king/

Good luck, hope to witness one is of your loops at Rhossy one day!

Mark