Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Another thought; if you are getting stuck and not rotating, you may not be flying the nose close enough to the wind before looking over the shoulder. There should be no need to swing/shake/shimmy/ the hips or exaggerate any body movement other than leading with your head and perhaps shoulders/front hand. If you are are too extended in your arms and legs you'll not rotate or will want to "chuck" the loop around into a flailing rotation. Watch Kauli's position on his backies. So perfect. His head is almost touching the mast he's so close to the rig before descending into a controlled descent. Nathan Mershon's back loops are a thing of beauty when he sails the Oregon coast too.

i have tried several ways of getting these sorted

1- throw myself round like i'm doing a back somersault --- no success with this method ! -

usually ends in a big heap with no real sense of where it has gone wrong as its such a fast rotation maybe because the fast rotation kills the height of the jump ?

2- go really high straight up and try the looking over the shoulder method --- no success with this method !

i don't seem to get the rotation and sort of stick but don't rotate far enough and sort of land with me flat on my side full length which depending on the height i have had can be a real slap !
    i seem to push the board higher up and the sail is flat whilst i'm in the air of a really steep ramp ?

anybody else had these issues ?

Not that i can do them but rather than get the board up an over your head I think you need to look back and twist your body round and let the board follow you. An inverted spin as oposed to an end over end loop. The board must go from initially up ward, to into the wind and level with you (although you would be looking in the other direction at this point), and then come back round to the leeward side and down to hit the water first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_o9nvz1YwuX1urbu15o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	14599

Quote Originally Posted by max111 View Post
    i have tried several ways of getting these sorted

1- throw myself round like i'm doing a back somersault --- no success with this method ! -

usually ends in a big heap with no real sense of where it has gone wrong as its such a fast rotation maybe because the fast rotation kills the height of the jump ?

2- go really high straight up and try the looking over the shoulder method --- no success with this method !

i don't seem to get the rotation and sort of stick but don't rotate far enough and sort of land with me flat on my side full length which depending on the height i have had can be a real slap !
    i seem to push the board higher up and the sail is flat whilst i'm in the air of a really steep ramp ?

anybody else had these issues ?
    For #2, I see this as a lack of full commitment. Your head wants to loop but your body is blocking the rotation. Looking over the shoulder initiates the back loop, but I'd suggest also noticing what's happening with your front hand/shoulder/torso after you look over the shoulder at the apex. If you've left your upper body and hips square to the rig (closed), you've blocked the movement. This is likely what's happening when you try to compensate by trying to push the board higher, stalling, and then slamming flat on your side. Even a slight opening of the upper body/shoulders after the head turn will be enough to allow the gear to rotate through. Another important part of going through the apex is to allow the back hand to open the sail a bit to encourage the sail through the wind. The allows the torso to open forward to keep helping the rig through. Aim the nose of your board a little further up wind before initiating the backie. The rotation should be nose over tail, pivoting (not drifting laterally) in the air at the apex to tail over nose, as opposed to a flat spin. Lots of new back loopers carry too much forward speed and splat sideways like you describe or force the rotation into an out of control "huck". It's all down to getting into the right apex position and letting the gear fall into position through subtle adjustments.

One thing about back loop that is not clear is the classical advice turn your head look over your shoulder spot the landing As you can see in Andy kings sequence this advice refers to the images 5 to 7 when you actually level the sail To level the sail and to look over your shoulder you need to put your back hand further back ( just before rotating apex of the jump or even just before jumping) and move your shoulder and sail to the front in order to rotate and start to spotting your landing.keep your front hand a little closer to the boom This will help you unstuck and pass 9 10 http://www.windsurfing.pl/video/5,kauli-seadi-back-loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2L6cEcKORs
    Last edited by geo-raft; 2nd April 2017 at 08:11 AM.