Portland Speed Week 2016

http://www.weymouthspeedweek.com/ind...16/leaderboard

There has been little wind so far, but Sunday had 15 knots gusting 18 from the NNE for a short time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speedweek Sunday.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	14550

The final day is tomorrow but I think that's it for the wind.
    http://www.weymouthspeedweek.com/ind...16/leaderboard

I don't think its blown over 20 knots average all week and its been NE/E so no flat water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portland.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	14558

There were only 74 sailors this year, maybe more entered but didn't travel because of the forecasts.

Shame the numbers have dropped. We really must get a forumites contingent there again next year for fear of loosing such a fun event.

It probably didn't help that there was no pre-publicity for this annual event – or none that I saw here or anywhere else. I eventually knew it was on simply because I'm Facebook friends with many on the list shown above.

The event coinciding with a sudden change in wind direction and a major drop in air temperature didn't help either.

It's amazing to see what speeds were achieved in such unfavourable conditions.

I guess keen speed sailors don't need to go to any event nowadays – when they have GPS's and can just wait for a good forecast.

For those interested in speed, it's worth noting here that the Luderitz speed event is not on this year (in Namibia).
    I think the organiser is taking a break after the trouble they had last year with the big tides allowing a storm surge to spoil the canal, right in the run up to the event.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    It probably didn't help that there was no pre-publicity for this annual event – or none that I saw here or anywhere else. I eventually knew it was on simply because I'm Facebook friends with many on the list shown above.
    Those who previously competed had emails about the event regularly sent but I agree, a bit more publicity would have been nice. Those years Grumpf sponsored it I have to admit the publicity was far more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    For those interested in speed, it's worth noting here that the Luderitz speed event is not on this year (in Namibia).
    I think the organiser is taking a break after the trouble they had last year with the big tides allowing a storm surge to spoil the canal, right in the run up to the event.
    I wonder how many people can afford to do that event every year. It is not cheap to put on making it really expensive for those competing, It is doubly expensive given the length of the event meaning many take quite a lot of time out to attend.

With the improvements in GPS technology maybe it is time to revive on a forecast events such as on The Ray or WK, but this can only happen when the stupid record rules on course measurements etc are not so tightly controlled by those with a vested interest in keeping multi million $ yatchs at the top of the tree. GPSs are more than accurate enough now for many sports, so why not sailing?

A good write-up here about the event.

http://www.andersbq.com/2016/10/weym...week-2016.html