Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Reflecting on this a bit more, I realised that the exact same decision making goes on when surfing.

If the waves look tough to catch, or maybe a bit cruise, I'll take the 9'4 longboard, accepting a more locked up feel in return for wave count.
    If it looks rewarding enough, then out come the short boards for some heavier drops and tighter turns.

I think technique can make up for a big board, having seen pros and hotshots on similar size boards, but they all tend to be on heavily rockered wave boards.
    Great to watch and try to copy!

Quote Originally Posted by PK1111 View Post
    Reflecting on this a bit more, I realised that the exact same decision making goes on when surfing.

If the waves look tough to catch, or maybe a bit cruise, I'll take the 9'4 longboard, accepting a more locked up feel in return for wave count.
    If it looks rewarding enough, then out come the short boards for some heavier drops and tighter turns.

I think technique can make up for a big board, having seen pros and hotshots on similar size boards, but they all tend to be on heavily rockered wave boards.
    Great to watch and try to copy!
    Accept the good with the bad.
    Bigger boards get you out, get more waves, work in worse wind.
    Smaller boards rip harder, turn tighter, drop in later.
    You make the choice, and you learn to accept the drawbacks, balanced by the advantages.

Had to use my Freewave 96 and a 6m sail in over head high waves a couple of times on my last trip to Portugal. Not the best combination for decent swell but i was able to catch almost every wave i wanted, while the guys on smaller gear had to be lucky to get in a hand full of rides and after a while i really got used to it. A big freewave just needs a lot more pressure for proper turns and you'll have to initiate the top turn a bit earlier or you'll frequently end up behind the wave.

I'm sure i would have been better off on an (even bigger) proper wave board but i still had tons of fun on those days. Just take what ever gear you have and make the most out of it.

Only problem: especially with a sail that big you really want to avoid heavy wipe-outs, or it might be a very short and expensive session. So i often chickened out on that last late hit. Still better than missing the whole ride i guess.
    Last edited by levante; 15th October 2016 at 06:16 PM.
    My wind- & surf shirts: http://sonofabeach.spreadshirt.de

Quote Originally Posted by levante View Post
    A big freewave just needs a lot more pressure for proper turns and you'll have to initiate the top turn a bit earlier or you'll frequently end up behind the wave.
    This can perhaps be useful advice for someone like me. I believe I tend to go late, even on the occasional bigger wave. The thing is that in the crap conditions I normally sail in you need to seek out the biggest wave or lump or whatever and wait for it to jack up. It's all about trying to generate a bit of speed for a bottom turn. If there is still something to hit by the time you're through down wind, that's just good luck.

The trouble is that the habit of going late transfers over to bigger faster waves. By going earlier I expect to be able to turn tighter and stay with the wave for more turns. Will really try to remember. It strikes me that "go early" is actually a common advice for wave riding. But even the best piece of advice is little worth unless you're ready for it.
    The infamous wavewriter

Bigger boards and sails allow you to drop in sooner, while the wave is flatter, giving you more time and less critical dropins.
    You do have to find a way to stall for some bottom turns, and an effective method is to fade deeper into the impact zone, knowing your bottom turn will be longer and faster than with a true wave board.

When catching waves, normally having more rocker does not matter but it helps to turn a bigger board. Having a flat rocker only helps if you will actually be planing going out. It is similar for a bigger sail btw.

A known surfboard shaper said to me once that a surf board needs to be able to release the water. A flat rockered board does not release the water as well when you let the wave pick you up. So having a bit of rocker does not hurt for catching the wave and may even be very helpfull if the wave gets steeper (has more curve) and will help keeping speed when making tighter turns and using the wave to keep speed. It can make more flowing turns when youŽd have to force a flatter rockered board.

Friday we had some light NW wind with a NW swell so I went across to the uninhabited Island of Lobos to the NE of Fuerte. There is a beautiful lagoon and the reef at the entrance has a perfect right hander breaking into deep water. It was about 20mins of schlogging to get there (about 2.5km) on a 105L Flex tail and 5.8.

Some small but clean lines coming in:

On the way back I saw another wave working to the south of Flag beach so got some port tack waves as well.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Right.
    Same winds, same size board, one wave rockered, one bump n jump rockered.
    Which planes sooner?
    Which goes faster?
    Which catch's a wave earlier?
    Now again, both well powered, it makes little difference. But WHY would you choose the bigger board? Because the wind is not quite there, and you're UNDERpowered.