Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Best shed on wheels van

Of course we know the answer should be VW but which year, make and model will make the best shed on wheels van. It's task is to reliably carry all our kit to the beach about a 2 mile journey. Occasionally will have to make the odd hour long pilgrimage depending on weather. Will sit outside all year long near the coast. Of course will be full of wet kit all the time so needs to be robust. I suspect the answer might not be VW! Let's see what you recommend for such a job. By the way it's for 2 people's kit so Sups, 6 boards, 10 sails etc.

VWT4s are the best, most reliable vans. But most are getting old now, and so it's difficult to find one with low mileage – and with no rust.

T5s are OK, but aren't reliable and are expensive to fix. You do hear some horror stories, whilst secretly wanting one.

Ford Transits are cheaper – or cheap.

Vitaros are functional.
    Now back in the UK.

Dodge Ram Promaster is pretty good.
    Can be had with 3.6 liter diesel or gas (we have the gas for city driving, starts and stops, short trips, 17.6 overall mpg).
    Inside, two Formula boards (162 and 167), Futura111, Exocet 95, MagicRide 118, Tabou Speedster100, Tabou 3s 86, 11 sails, 14 masts, 5 booms, and enough room inside along the side for two people to change at the same time, or 10 filled grocery bags....of grocery.

I've owned both a t4 and currently have a t5 , t5 is absolutely fantastic, it's now done 155k, I bought it at 3 years old. Had a new drive shaft 5 years ago. That's was it, only a yearly service and tyres, brakes etc. Anyone that has owned a t5 doesn't ever go to anything else and not regret it.
    Yes they are more to buy, but you get more when you sell.
    I paid 8k for a 3 year old van and can still get 5.5/6k 8years on, try that with a transit or a Renault with a dodgy gear box.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    Dodge Ram Promaster is pretty good.
    Can be had with 3.6 liter diesel or gas (we have the gas for city driving, starts and stops, short trips, 17.6 overall mpg).
    Inside, two Formula boards (162 and 167), Futura111, Exocet 95, MagicRide 118, Tabou Speedster100, Tabou 3s 86, 11 sails, 14 masts, 5 booms, and enough room inside along the side for two people to change at the same time, or 10 filled grocery bags....of grocery.
    14 Masts? Do you have a fetish?

Toyota Hiace. Basic but super reliable. 270K and just needed a new starter and alternator.

I bought a used Toyota Hiace in 2004. It was 3 years old and had 70000 miles on the clock. It was owned by an antiques dealer before so light use only. 12 years on and another 70000 miles and the total issues have been:
    Glow plugs needed replacing but had seized in solid so had to get them drilled out
    Front suspension brushes - cheap
    Water pump replaced under warranty just after I bought it
    Front brake calliper & disc replaced as it seized
    Small amount of welding on a repair which went rusty

Some parts of exposed metal inside the van are looking rusty from the salt water. The outside is fine.
    Other than that its just been tyres and cambelts at the required interval.