Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    thanks guys see a lot of Vivaros around and wonder how good they are. I am also tempted by maybe trying an auction for an ex fleet high miler. Probably been thrashed but we'll serviced so maybe ok?

Gearboxes were a common problem on vivaros, 50k and you were out.

I had heard that about Vivaros. I would like it to be a VW as we already have a camper version however a lwb VW with say sub 120k on the clock and less than 5k is very hard to find indeed. Not sure where I should be looking besides Autotrader and eBay?

The ability of VW vans to hold value is mind boggling. There is a vw campervan on our street for sale for 5,500 – its 25 years old and in poor condition internally! It’s a double edges sword in a way as if you can afford new or nearly new then you should buy VW without hesitation and benefit from the high resale price. If your buying used then there must be more value in other brands, I like the new Transit shape – I’d look there.

Banned
    Buy something not close to the sea, limit yourself to sailing well inland lakes and retire the van over winter. Should get a few more years out of it then. Webcam windsurfing is also groovy.

I wouldn't touch any modern diesel for that sort of use. The engine won't even begin to get hot so you'll have problems unless you're happy to rip off the DPF, EGR & any other similar gubbins that suffers from coking like swirl flaps. Unfortunately doing that could lead to future MOT failures.

If it is going to be primarily a 'shed' on wheels, then that's what I'd buy - a box van. Then you can leave it full of soaking wet kit without dampness & salt ever getting near anything important. Either a (roughly) pre-2000 diesel that hasn't got a DPF etc (unless you need to go into the LEZ), or a later petrol if you can find such a thing.

Ignore any comments along the lines of "I had a <....> & it was totally reliable"; single data points are meaningless (no offence to anyone above). A bit of googling should turn up some reliability surveys based on warranty data, which invariably show that Land Rover are the worst year in year out, closely followed by anything French, with the Germans slipping rapidly in recent years. Although for sheer numbers of catastrophic engine failures, Toyota will probably be hard to beat now that they've stopped replacing the dire lumps they stuck in the RAV4 & Avensis in the early-to-mid 00's. Worth checking if they used the same engine (D4D I think it was) in the Hiace, & if so, avoid like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    I wouldn't touch any modern diesel for that sort of use. The engine won't even begin to get hot so you'll have problems unless you're happy to rip off the DPF, EGR & any other similar gubbins that suffers from coking like swirl flaps. Unfortunately doing that could lead to future MOT failures.

If it is going to be primarily a 'shed' on wheels, then that's what I'd buy - a box van. Then you can leave it full of soaking wet kit without dampness & salt ever getting near anything important. Either a (roughly) pre-2000 diesel that hasn't got a DPF etc (unless you need to go into the LEZ), or a later petrol if you can find such a thing.

Ignore any comments along the lines of "I had a <....> & it was totally reliable"; single data points are meaningless (no offence to anyone above). A bit of googling should turn up some reliability surveys based on warranty data, which invariably show that Land Rover are the worst year in year out, closely followed by anything French, with the Germans slipping rapidly in recent years. Although for sheer numbers of catastrophic engine failures, Toyota will probably be hard to beat now that they've stopped replacing the dire lumps they stuck in the RAV4 & Avensis in the early-to-mid 00's. Worth checking if they used the same engine (D4D I think it was) in the Hiace, & if so, avoid like the plague.
    I agree with the notion that all French cars are sh!t. I had a Renault once and never again. The only car I have ever traded in as I couldn’t take cash of anyone for it! My parents have a Citroen that is 12 years old and has done 55K miles, it is completely on its arse! Although it was cheap.