Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    14 Masts? Do you have a fetish?
    Sad but true.
    Have two sailors to satisfy, from 3.7 to 7.5 each. That means, 340/370, 400, 430, and 460 each.
    Also, RDM's for the surf sails, SDM for the flat water sails.
    Also, 3 North masts for the North sails, one NP, and one No Limitz for the Ezzy sail.
    Also, spares in 400 and 430 SDM the most used and the prevailing winds.
    I never use the same sails twice in a week, so rotate my sails constantly day to day. Meaning, I need the correct mast each and every time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    Sad but true.
    Have two sailors to satisfy, from 3.7 to 7.5 each. That means, 340/370, 400, 430, and 460 each.
    Also, 3 North masts for the North sails, one NP, and one No Limitz for the Ezzy sail.
    I never use the same sails twice in a week, so rotate my sails constantly day to day. Meaning, I need the correct mast each and every time.
    Blimey! As we say over here.

No wonder you need a van.
    '16: 16
    '17: 9

I think the most important point made here is in respect of using an relatively modern diesel for short journeys. If you are convinced diesel is the only option then you are going to have to find a diesel with none of the modern emission control systems such as the DPF ( Diesel particulate filter) and EGR ( exhaust gas regeneration) valve. For a VW that means T4 rather than T5. A petrol engine is better suited to short journeys.
    I know Citroen do 2 versions of their 1600 diesel engine because my wife uses a Picasso.........again for short journeys mostly........and hers is the slghtly lowere powered version but also does not have a DPF. I don't know if the carries through to other vehicles using that engine ( Peugeot/Citroen....probably others)) but may be worth a look.

I think you are right Mike i am just trying to work out what is the latest year that VW moved to that new fangled technology. I have owned many VWs and my old T4 was a real high miler and very reliable. Just need to find one with good bodywork because i suspect rust might be the problem by the seaside!! The LWB VW would be ideal because I can get the SUPs in as well. I am thinking one with the old 2.5 lump. Another fan of the VW said that I might get an old Caravelle cheaper as they are not as popular with the converters. Ceetainly when I have glanced at Autotrader that might be the case. Thanks for all your help.

The 102bhp 2.5 Tdi (ACV engine) has an EGR valve but it's dead easy to block off. You can get the blanking plates for peanuts on Ebay. The weird thing about that engine is after a certain engine number, they are allowed in the London LEZ. I don't know what changed to allow that though, if anything. But it could well be they started adding a DPF, as that's basically what you have to do to older ones to make them LEZ compliant. I've got a 2001 & it isn't allowed in the LEZ.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    Sad but true.
    Your mast collection is probbaly worth more than most Vans

Ford did a petrol/lpg version of the transit, I think around 2010, not sure about more recently. This would suit the short journey better than diesel. I would be a big advocate of the transit, (comfy, great load space, reliable, cheap to fix) apart from the corrosion issue, they do seem to suffer. If you found one from inland (search northampton free-ads?) you could spend some time undersealing it and getting some internal drainage for the wet gear. Not sure if the new Custom is any better. I leave a small dehumidifier in my LWB T4 2.5 on mains hookup, makes me feel better about the wet gear, not sure how much real benefit it has. I have also plumbed in an electric coolant pre-heater on a time-switch to reduce the impact of cold starting and short journeys. Its great having hot air in the blower system on startup. I hanker after the comfort of a transit and the load space of a decent sized van (Crafter or Master MWB) but common sense prevails with the T4. Buy high mileage with good service history and don't worry if it doesn't last forever. No van is going to be perfect, it'll be a compromise one way or another. The answer is to windsurf more.