Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobsterfd View Post
    Ford did a petrol/lpg version of the transit, I think around 2010, not sure about more recently. This would suit the short journey better than diesel.
    I'm not sure it would really. It won't switch to LPG until the coolant's warm enough to stop the vaporiser freezing, which is unlikely to happen much before 2 miles if at all.

I leave a small dehumidifier in my LWB T4 2.5 on mains hookup, makes me feel better about the wet gear, not sure how much real benefit it has.
    Heh. Me too. It definitely makes a big difference.

I have also plumbed in an electric coolant pre-heater on a time-switch to reduce the impact of cold starting and short journeys. Its great having hot air in the blower system on startup.
    Again, me too (but manually switched). I run my van on veg oil so use the pre-heater to warm up the oil filter & a heat exchanger (the veg oil has to be heated to use it).
    What heater did you use? I've tried a few in the past that only last a few weeks. So now I use a central heating booster that's basically just a metal cylinder with an immersion heater in it, & circulate the coolant with a separate 12V pump (the sort used to cool turbos).
    Last edited by Radialhead; 31st October 2016 at 04:00 PM.

Good point ref the LPG warm up, I'm guessing a petrol engine would fare better than the diesel on repeated short journeys even without the LPG.
    I thought about a gas pre-heater to also warm the cab for off grid camping but it all got complicated as a gas heater on the coolant circuit would require the ventilation fan to heat the cab and this is a fairly high current drain system (eg heater control resistor) so would flatten the leisure battery fast. For the cost and number of times I would use it, hook-up camping or B&Bs would be cheaper. I've also been struggling with a good gas bottle cupboard position. In the end I went for this coolant heater with a "Timeguard TG77" switch in the van (it has an internal battery so keeps the time when off the hook-up): http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php/...t-car-etc.html.
    After an hour the coolant is warmed up a bit, only enough to make the dash temp gauge twitch, but the good warming work is done, warm windscreen vent, instant crank and start with no smoke (she's done 200k and I think has tired valve stem seals). This is the 2nd winter its been in and it seems reliable so far. Please let there be some wind and waves soon, I'm getting all van geeky!
    The veg-oil setup sounds amazing, good work.

In the end I went for this coolant heater with a "Timeguard TG77" switch in the van (it has an internal battery so keeps the time when off the hook-up): http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php/...t-car-etc.html.
    I tried one of those but the pump only lasted a few weeks. The heating element still works though so I didn't bin it; I'll figure out some other use for it eventually.

Maybe I should look out for an old petrol Caravelle i think they did one with a V6 in it. The older VWs seem to be resitant to rust more than the newer ones. Most Caravelles seem to be LWB so as long as I dont mind having windows in and having to rip out the seats could be a good buy. Also I have noticed sum are automatic but I dont know if the VW autobox was any good in terms of mileage?
    Not sure the older transit was long enough for SUPs?