Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Women, 57 kg

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmosurfer View Post
    Yes, thatīs why Iīm asking about brands. Lost weight, 7,7 and 7.0 with Firemove 110 and FSW 96 is not very nice when itīs picking up.
    did you pm Sailrepair?
    Your thread is like a jig saw puzzle in a box,
    the picture on the box is different to the puzzle, and it's missing pieces.

no end of helpful Harrietts on here.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

windmag.com & surf-magazin.de often include the weights in tests.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredAtWork925 View Post
    That's interesting, thanks. How does one find out what sails weigh? Booms and masts often seem to have quoted weights, but I've never seen that for a sail. The sail I use most is a 5.9 and weighs 4.4kg, so from what you say above I guess I could find lighter than that? Even my smallest sail, a 4.5 wave sail, is 3.8kg! I have long standing back problems and whilst windsurfing in typical winds over 10-12 knots is fine for me, in lighter winds where you're balancing the rig more I get a lot of back pain and often have to stop because of it. Plus there's obviously lifting and shifting gear.

Several brands now list the weights of their sails:

Try Severne for example (which I use). My 5.3 weighs 2.8 kgs, my 4m mast weighs 1.3kgs, and my boom weighs 2kgs. With extension and harness lines the all-up rig weight is still under 7kgs.

Late edit:
    I see that Ezzy and North both list sail weights now, on their websites. I haven't checked other brands. For sure, some don't.
    Last edited by basher; 26th October 2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmosurfer View Post
    Yes, thatīs why Iīm asking about brands. Lost weight, 7,7 and 7.0 with Firemove 110 and FSW 96 is not very nice when itīs picking up.

Once you are on 7m or 7.7 sails, then the lighter versions will be those which are not camber induced.

If you find any sail 'heavy' in use, then that can also be that they are not rigged well, and/or are too big for the wind strength, given your new weight. So a smaller sail might be the answer.

A smaller sail such as a 6.5 can rig on a 430 mast, rather than a 460, and the boom used could be shorter too, hence a lot of weight saving.
    Now back in the UK.

Hi,

Have you considered Goya Gurus?

That's brilliant - thanks for the info. It sounds like I could shed some weight by buying new kit - for comparison my 4m mast weighs 2.2kg (0.9kg more than yours) and as I said above, my 4.5 sail weighs 3.8kg! I'll do some research at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ursblank View Post
    Hi,

Have you considered Goya Gurus?
    The 4.5m I have is a 2014 Goya Guru - 3.8kg.