Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    Autumn has been very inconsistent for a long time. Especially September and October. My expectations are always low for those months - in fact, last time I sailed which was ealry september I think, I thought it might be my last session of the year. Long windless spells and less daylight make windsurfing pretty much impossible for me from about now until April. Late spring and summer is windy season...
    Same here, haven't been out since September and the longer I go between sessions the harder it is to motivate myself instead of just doing something else.

I usually pack it in until April time too once I stop.

Last year I had 8 sessions on October, 5 of those were easterly.
    This year 11 sessions, 7 of which were easterly.

Last year we had a windy Nov/Dec and 1st week in Jan, and it was very mild as well.

Normally autumn is cr@p for wind here. Usually it switches off some time around the first week in September and is very sporadic until about mid Jan. But this year we actually had a fantastic September - easily the best since I moved here in 2007. Since then October has reverted to type and we've had the first rain plus wind from the right.

Pedroenespana mentions that Tarifa is unusually good right now, and Basher mentions el Nino ... I actually thought that last year was an el Nino and this year was La Nina - or have I got that wrong?
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Fanatic FreeWave 95, Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85, RRD WaveTwin 82
    Sails: Tushingham Rocks, gradually becoming Severne Blades.

Sorry yes, it's not an El Ninio year, that was last year, and 2016 was originally expected to be a La Nina year. But in fact the signs of La Nina have been very weak or not significant.

Latest analysis says they think there may be late signs of La Nina conditions for the autumn, but still weak.

Which means they don't really know what's happening. Or what will happen. So best check the seaweed hanging outside the back door.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Rhosneigr was good today, wind picked up from about 2pm and was honking by 5. However today was an exception, it's half term week and it looks like today will be the only day with decent wind. In years gone by you would be on sub 4.5m sails every day. Is it global warming or are we all getting old!

It IS bad at the moment. I find myself checking the 6-hourly GFS updates on Windguru, and am forever disappointed that there is no sign of any sailable wind for my area.

For the next ten days, the latest update has a bit of E wind, and some northerlies, but no real short board wind, nothing local, and certainly no southwesterlies.
    No swell either.

The clocks change this weekend, effectively meaning the day is a lot shorter. Some of the marginal wind shown on windguru, goes through after dark (as it did last night).

So, what do we do? Stop looking? Take up another sport? I find myself checking flight prices – but there's no easy or cheap option for November.

Better get some work done, I guess.
    Last edited by basher; 28th October 2016 at 12:22 PM.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    Rhosneigr was good today, wind picked up from about 2pm and was honking by 5. However today was an exception, it's half term week and it looks like today will be the only day with decent wind. In years gone by you would be on sub 4.5m sails every day. Is it global warming or are we all getting old!
    The wind has defo changed up this neck of the woods the big westerly's seem to be few and far between now