Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

The end seems closer

At least the mbongo era of boards. A couple of nights ago it seems like some DNS changes were going on. Now if you look, the mpora part of the domain has gone and has now reverted to the good old boards.co.uk domain. Does this signal anything? Maybe it is just in preparation for either a sale or a closure.

I did wonder if we'd see changes once the year's ad contracts had run out.

And I couldn't get in here for a few hours the other day when I had a whole thread to start, which is when the changeover must have taken place.

I then lost the whole thing I'd written and was already wondering why I had bothered in the first place – the audience here is so small now.

Shame really, but maybe it's a good time to move on anyway. Forums are such negative places nowadays – whatever the hobby or shared interest.

Sites like windsurfing.tv are good places to support instead. If this place is to survive it needs to be taken on by someone with a passion for windsurfing – not a company ruled by accountants and balance sheets.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    not a company ruled by accountants and balance sheets.
    Your preference then is for companies that don't look after their finances properly?
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Haha. I was more thinking that a customer-based business should not lose sight of the customer or the business when their accountants want to make changes.
    Last edited by basher; 3rd November 2016 at 11:51 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Those things are not mutually exclusive. No company can survive unless it controls costs and makes an operating profit but having knowledgeable enthusiasts at the helm is going to help a more successful venture.

So who got it then Phil? I missed the whole deal, got wrapped up in something else that hasn't exactly gone the way I thought it would, in other arenas some Forums are undergoing a bit of a dead cat bounce as folk tire of Facebook Instagram Twatter etc.

Obviously the key thing nowadays with forums is good moderating.
    In particular, it needs to be understood that some people just take over the space with an agenda - be that to moan, or else to sell via their business, or just to demand attention in their negative posts.

The worst thing that happened on here was to tolerate multiple fake IDs.
    Some were allowed to continue because they were advertisers.

What is weird now, is that there is no advertising since the mag closed, and yet it's still going on.
    Last edited by basher; 3rd November 2016 at 11:40 PM.