Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK windsurfing weather from November 7th, 2016

There's some wind about this week so maybe we should have a new weekly thread to discuss that.

Every time I look at the basic GFS forecast on windguru it changes, so the detail is very much up for grabs this week. The weather pattern is a bit complex so that means the wind direction and wind strength we get are hard to pinpoint more than a day or two ahead so we should look at updates here.

What we do know is that we start the week with cold air and a brisk northerly and to the east this brings rain showers and even some sleet. There is a low tracking by on the near con tinned but that is gone by tomorrow and then low pressure moves in from the west, with a new low that should track west to east.
    The cold theme continues for a day or two but then the wind direction goes more NW to bring a slight recovery in temperatures by mid week.

The question is then: will the NW wind turn more W any times, or will the better wind simply go through overnight.?
    Those of us on the south coast are desperate for some onshore wind and some waves but the short daylight hours may limit what sailable wind we get.

The BWA have re-scheduled their Cornwall event for the coming weekend, and the wind and wave forecast looks promising for there, as long as the mid-week wind and weather before that doesn't muck it up.

So there's plenty to chat about here.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Tuesday. Effing cold again.

The low to the east had fled to the near continent, taking that northerly with it, but low pressure is now gathering in the west.

Rain moves into the Southwest and all the west coast later today, and that rain sets up a new low which tracks across southern England tonight. Unfortunately the wind may be useless for some areas and for the south coast the onshore period of wind is overnight.
    There are overnight gales in places but by morning the wind blow W and quickly veers further to WNW or NW. The second part of the rain is also falling out of a cold front so we may see 10 degrees in the rain at rush hour in the Southeast, but as rain clears daytime temperatures actually fall back to single figures.

So your best chance for a sail today is in the west, on a beach that works in a southerly (or, locally, SSW or SSE) wind, and it'll be windiest as it goes dark.
    The NW wind in the west tomorrow is still strong but eases back over the day> The Southeast and central southern England should see very strong WNW or NW wind on Wednesday if you don't mind sailing in sub 10 degree temperatures and can find a beach that works with the NW direction.
    West wittering?
    In the far southeast the wind is more cyclonic, being nearer the centre of the passing low.

So it could be hard to catch a session from this midweek period of wind. By Thursday it's mostly gone, but, on some forecasts, more wind is expected to move into the west for Friday.

There is however a lot of doubt about the weekend forecast – so don't trust the stars you see on Windguru.
    Last edited by basher; 8th November 2016 at 10:16 AM.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Looking good for over here tomorrow. I hope for a bit of a swell.

Here's a picture of the low (below). So far, it has set up way less wind than on GFS-based forecasts like Windguru.

I also see the BBC have downsized their (Met Office-based) wind forecast for Wednesday.
    On the plus side, it's a lot milder this evening.

If you have a beach that works well with NW wind then you could still be OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 23.44.48.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	14642  
    Last edited by basher; 8th November 2016 at 11:50 PM.

Just heard "Pearl super clean over head"

In the Southeast, we're still under the low with cyclonic winds.
    So in the far Southeast it has been blowing from the SE. Here in Hove we had WSW at dawn but the breeze was light, then a strong NW wind kicked in for a while over rush hour. And now it has eased back and is more NNW.

Further west, you need to be west of the Isle Of Wight to get the best of the wind at the moment. And I guess K bay must be doing OK.

You do however need a beach that works in NW.

Witterings may still work as the low centre shifts further east a bit.

I hope someone is catching something out of this temporary wind.
    Last edited by basher; 9th November 2016 at 10:25 AM.

Think I'm going to try Bracklesham, the camera there showing some small waves.