Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Simmer Tricera 5.0 2017

I have been eyeing up the Simmer Tricera for a while now. I even had a 4.7 2015 version on loan and gave it a few spins. However, my main option has always been the 5.0.

And since it is a bit difficult to find any write-ups or reviews of the Tricera, here is one from me. I have been on Simmer sails for a long time, but also use/used Gaastra and Hot Sails in recent years. I have given fairly updated Neil Pryde and Ezzy sails (Elite) a try or rented them. My weight is 78 kgs.

I have given it a couple of outings now, and it certainly seems to have really good potential to fulfill its role in my quiver - as a wave riding sail in lighter winds.

Even if I did like the 2015 Tricera, I felt that it was perhaps a bit too soft for my liking and was looking for a bit more drive. On the wave, it was really nice and light in the hands, but I kind of felt that I wanted a bit more performance out of it. Somehow, it seems as if this is what the Simmer team has found out as well and been looking to improve. The main difference, to me, is that the 2017 Tricera comes with a fair bit more curve in the luff and more tension in the sail. This becomes obvious when it comes to downhauling it, since it is the wave sail from Simmer that requires more downhaul force than I have used in many years. Almost makes me think of the old Crossover and Onshore sails. There is also more tension and curve in batten #3 (the bottom batten) that creates a deeper foil in the bottom part of the of the sail than before. To me, batten #2 also seems to have more curve now. Personally, I like this idea of bringing more tension into the sail since it should improve control and power.

On the water this delivers more grunt and drive than before. I also think that the range has improved and is good for a three-batten design. It is not as good as for the BlackTip, but that has to be expected. Still a clear improvement over the 2015 4.7 I'd say. What I like most is that it feels very balanced and easy to use for float and ride. It is also very easy to feel where the power is in the sail and responds really well to a couple of pumps. On the wave it is a expected, particularly in the top turn where it just get very light and nice. It is only when there is a lot of power that the comparatively large head of the sail can kind of be a bit tricky to de-power, but then it is time to be on a smaller sail anyway. One thing that I rate compared with the previous Tricera is that the 2017 design (at least the 5.0) has better drive in the bottom turn.

Build quality seems to be very good. My 2012 and 2015 BlackTips have all held up really well and the Tricera seems to continue this tradition. It is not the lightest three-batten sail out there, mine is 3.3 kgs, but I am more than ready to live with a few grams more for a sail that stays in one piece. Some of the details that I like in the sails is the new (?) mast base protection, new material in the top of the sail and the really big window for excellent visibility.

Overall, the 2017 Tricera to me comes out as a nice mix of the old Tricera and the BlackTip. It has more grunt and range, but still feels softer and more neutral for wave sailing. Comparing it with, in my view, the benchmark sail for three-batten sails, the HSM KS3 (4.9) that I've tried a three or four times, the Tricera is a bit different. The KS3 offers more pull, is lighter and somehow an even more dedicated design. Somehow, the Tricera is perhaps more on the "conservative" side, which is not only a bad thing since I found it slightly easier to rig and understand how to get the best performance out of it. With that being said, I still think that the KS3 is an awesome sail.

In conclusion, a clear improvement over the 2015 model has produced a (really) good float and ride sail that also works perfectly well when the wind picks up. Unless we get surprisingly windy seasons, this will for sure be my main sail for wave riding the next couple of years.

Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

Is that the recommended mast?

@dr masse - thanks for sharing your experiences with your new Tricera. Sounds like a fun sail.
    I find it interesting that you consider it a good 'float and ride sail' compared to the Black Tip.
    On paper my impression of the Tricera was for higher wind sailing or perhaps for easier handling for lighter weight riders. This is based on the available sail sizes: 3.4 to 5.0 and that there are only three battens producing less drive. Compared to the Black Tip with four battens and sail sizes extending to 5.9.

I love my Blacktips as a great all-around wave sail with lots of power when you need it and how easily it goes neutral when you don't. I'm in agreement on the durability of the Blacktips except for the clarity of the mono window. Seems that after about a year of ocean sailing the visibility gets reduced, which I'm guessing is a universal problem for all sail models that have mono windows.
    Boards - Simmer Quantum V3 85L, 95L, 105L
    Sails - Simmer Blacktip 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.0 X, 5.3, 5.6
    Masts - Simmer RDM10
    Booms - Chinook Pro 1 Carbon

Mast is Simmer rdm10, so yes. If you wonder about the wrinkle/fold at the front of the window in the boom area, it is supposed to look like that. A bit of inspiration from the KS3, maybe... (where this design is much more pronounced)

I could easily see Simmer doing a larger version of the Tricera, up to 5.5/5.7, but for me a 5.0 is the largest I want for this type of sail. I think that the reason for why they've gone all the way down to 3.4 is to meet the market for people that are looking for a highly manouvreable wave sail in their quiver. Since it is very easy to feel the power, with a softer experience than the Blacktip, I think that the Tricera might actually be a really nice sail in more wind as well.

Oh, I remain a (big) fan of the Blacktip, have a new 2017 line from 5.3 to 3.7 of them. So it very much remains as my main sail. I just was able to allow myself the luxury (which it certainly is) of adding a 5.0 Tricera inbetween the 5.3 and 4.7 BT's. And the 2017 BT is a very nice, and lighter, improvement over the 2015 version. I just prefer the Tricera for float and ride and wave riding in lighter winds. As soon as it picks up properly, I'll be on my 4.7 Blacktip (which might well be the single best sail I've ever had).

And one more thing - you know that with a bit of treatment (vinegar, mild detergent) you can quite often get that mono window nice and clear again?
    Last edited by dr masse; 10th November 2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

@dr masse - thanks for the additional info. glad to hear you still like the Blacktips. Now you've made me envious of your 2017 BT quiver

Never tried that cleaning solution. Thanks for tip. This is probably a topic for a thread by itself, but I have tried a special spray on plastic cleaner/polish (Camco 210) and it did clean up nice but did nothing for the abrasions. I was hoping for a miracle cure. The cleaner/polish does help in sheeting off water so the sail doesn't get as spotted from the salt water on a hot/dry day when the sail gets a film coating so there are some benefits. I'm going to try a different automotive/marine plastic cleaner then polish solution as a two-step process to see how that works. cheers!
    Boards - Simmer Quantum V3 85L, 95L, 105L
    Sails - Simmer Blacktip 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.0 X, 5.3, 5.6
    Masts - Simmer RDM10
    Booms - Chinook Pro 1 Carbon

Nice write up dr Masse!
    I really like the clean look of the sail. its a beauty
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dr masse View Post
    seems to be a nice deep profile with lots of power!

I'm also still happy with my good old 2015 S-3's