Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

UK windsurfing weather from November 14th, 2016

It's nice to start a new weekly weather thread with the wind back in the SW direction.
    It's just picking up here on the south coast now, but is only expected to reach moderate levels today.

From mid week however, there should be some sailable wind, and it's relatively mild – for mid November.

But there is wind for all this week, and you only have to look at Met Office charts to see why. A deep area of low pressure sits to the north of Scotland this week, hardly moving, and that sends fronts our way, with periods of wind to match.

http://www.metbrief.com/EGRR.html

The forecast detail will continue to change a bit as longer term predictions firm up, so check your latest forecast for better information.

In the Southeast, I'm hoping to sail on Wednesday and Thursday this week, but our mid-day tide times are not helpful and the tides are pretty big, following today's perigee full moon. It will also rain at times.

Post your forecasts and sailing plans here, in the usual way.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Thursday looks pretty exciting, but I doubt I can get away.

I think I must have contracted the BillyBoy bug, but some kind of mutated form that is 4x as strong as the original.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

So the forecast seems to be holding and so we (UK) should hopefully have wind around Wed, Thurs & Fri. As Basher notes though, the tides could make timings a bit tricky. Any thoughts on where best to head in the south(ish)?
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Yes, it has firmed up for the next two days, but not for the weekend.
    (In fact the weekend forecast has gone a bit pear shaped on the latest version, but we'll need to look at that again.)

Tomorrow (Wednesday) sees good wind along the south coast but that comes in with a small front and looks best in the morning to me. The midday high tide suggests that Worthing or LA with the tide on the push might be good.

Of perhaps a dawn patrol session at Hove, possibly in rain. My beach will be over by 10am here due to the big tide. The wind will probably be lighter by the time the tide drops again – so a spot that works at high water is probably best.

Thursday then looks much windier but with more showers and the same high water issue.

On both days the wind is quite W, backing to WSW ahead of rain. It's difficult to see how that will knock up much of a wave, and indeed the swell direction is forecast to be with the wind. Which means it may be disappointing. But Thursday could see some very strong wind, meaning dig out your small sails.

I write this on Tuesday lunchtime, and it is noticeably mild here today for November. However temperatures to ease down again, after today. And the weekend could be quite chilly.

So I'm digging out the booties and neo beanie.
    Last edited by basher; 15th November 2016 at 01:07 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    Thursday looks pretty exciting, but I doubt I can get away.

I think I must have contracted the BillyBoy bug, but some kind of mutated form that is 4x as strong as the original.
    Sorry Arf, didn't know it was contagious. I've been holding some annual leave in reserve for some autumn wave days. Guess which day is the first day so far this autumn that I couldn't have taken as leave? You guessed it - Thursday. Even if that wasn't the case the moon still hates me so it would be all but impossible for me to get out in daylight with a decent tide time this week even if I could take leave. Sigh...

Hoping for something on Sunday - forecasts are all over the place that far ahead due to a small, intense low sweeping in fast. Hopefully it'll track favourably....
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

At bloody last. Bar about 10 days must've been the worst Autumn since...well last Autumn. It often seems to get good around middle of November though. But since when did they ever get double skunked at the Cornwall Wave Classic?
    Last edited by Charlie W; 15th November 2016 at 06:35 PM.

The Wednesday forecast has done a bit of a wobble this evening.
    For starters, it hasn't blown as hard as expected so far this evening.

I've just cancelled my dawn patrol plans, unless the wind is fully there in the morning.

It's now looking windiest for a high tide sail here, as a make do session.
    Thursday still looks better.
    Last edited by basher; 16th November 2016 at 12:08 AM.