Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 15 to 21 of 48
  1. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    5.3!
    I was on an 8.5m in Poole 12-2pm. It picked up as I finished but not much.
    There was a chap out on 6.6m slalom gear going at 80% of full-twonk in the un-lulls. Looked very quick to me. He then rigged 7.5 but something broke. I rigged the sail I wanted to use(5.3 eclipse set for max grunt), rather than for the actual wind. Glad you got out on the big kit, lovely sunshine this way.

  2. #16
    Just watch out if you are getting your hopes up for Sunday.
    There will be wind somewhere, but many south coast places could be stuck with cyclonic winds right under the centre of the low – if this Met Office chart is correct.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 01.43.51.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	14660
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

  3. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    503
    Hi Basher,

    Do you really think Hove with be launchable at 2 given the tides? Trying to decide whether hove, lancing or worthing are going to be the best options.

    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    We got an hour or so at hove. Not great but gmac and I were both planing on 5.0 m rigs. Warm and mostly sunny.

    Not much of a swell.


    The hope is that tomorrow will be better, and again with the stronger wind in the afternoon. High water here is just before 1pm, but once it starts to go out, it disappears fast.
    So the plan for Thursday is to launch again here after 2pm, shorebreak permitting, or somewhere else a bit earlier.


    Sunset is at 4.15pm but with reasonable light until 4.30pm.

  4. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    503
    Or maybe its time to break my l'hampton virginity, Jamie what times do you think it will work today?

  5. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    804
    Hi Will, just had reports that it's not happening right now, keep an eye on Rustington wave reading, needs to be +3m to be "fun".
    I'm going there for about an hour after high on the hope that this wind will pick up some lumps, so 2oclock . Should be okay for a couple of hours. Other usual suspects will be there, could be ok if this volatile front coming this afternoon doesn't muck things up too much. It will be good to meet you.

  6. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by willmort View Post
    Hi Basher,

    Do you really think Hove with be launchable at 2 given the tides? Trying to decide whether hove, lancing or worthing are going to be the best options.

    We're all trying to decide the same thing!

    The wind was light at dawn this morning, then it kicked in hard, and then we got our first batch of rain. The swell is building with the tide but it's not yet big here.

    But the wind is also very squally, and there is a cold front due this afternoon which could mean heavy rain followed by a wind switch off – although it's just forecast to ease back a bit after about 4pm.

    I'm also looking at some forecasts which give a more SW wind ahead of the cold front, and a more W wind after it.

    So Worthing is the easy option, given the tide times and for a simpler launch. Once the tide goes out however, then it will disappear fast, but the daylight will be fading by then anyway.

    I can't yet tell what our shore break will be like here in Hove by afternoon because we may have gusts in the 45mph range – but sometimes it's relatively easy to get out just after high water (say at 2pm) whereas by 3pm it might be horrendous. By 4pm we're still on mid tide here. And then it's well dark by 4.30pm. The argument for launching at Hove is that we can catch the mid tide sweet spot before dark.

    The windiest time, is forecast as being between 12noon and 3pm.
    I see the Lancing sailing club site has just hit 40knots!

    So it may be too windy for a while.
    Last edited by basher; 17th November 2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

  7. #21
    There's another massive spike on the Chimet graph from just now, with a force 8 logging for a while.

    It's a squally day, and choosing sail size could be difficult.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •