Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

UK windsurfing weather from 21 November 2016

Met Office Warnings Issued For: Brighton and Hove

• Yellow warning of wind

From: 0100 on Tue 22 November To: 0900 on Tue 22 November

Southwesterly winds will increase on Monday night and into Tuesday morning, bringing gusts of 50 to 60 mph on coasts, with a low risk of 70-80 mph. Inland, gust speeds are likely to be 10 mph or so lower.

Please be aware of the risk of damage to trees and disruption to transport, and of large waves coming onto sea fronts.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

After the morning SSW nuke, veering more cross-shore?
    Neap tides and a big swell mean Shoreham could be a rippy mess. #l*****g

For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

Yes, as said at the end of last week's weather thread, this is a new small low set up by a dip in the Jet Stream – and is a similar situation to the storm Angus low we saw on Saturday. Except that this low isn't so deep, it tracks a bit differently, and the Met Office have not chosen to give it a name.
    But it might not quite behave as currently predicted.

The Met Office warnings can also mislead us, when it comes to windsurfing plans.

The wind will again be strong overnight but the low hangs around longer, meaning a longer period of wind. Hopefully the wind tomorrow will last into the afternoon.

But watch out the different shape and track of this low probably mean SSW wind and not the SW mentioned above. I wouldn't be surprised if, ahead of rain, the wind was also quite southerly.
    It will also be worth checking on the rainfall levels predicted on the Tuesday morning update.

On Tuesday the strongest wind looks to be in the east. The mid morning low water should allow the wind to offer an onshore wave session at Shoreham tomorrow, but watch out that we are heading into neap tides, and that the longshore rip often gets really bad once a neap tide is on the push.
    Last edited by basher; 21st November 2016 at 02:57 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Where is best to sail today? I'm hopefully off work by 11.30. Will Hove work today, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Hove likely to be a big onshore rippy mess. Lancing is normally good in SSW-SW when the swell is up, should be smaller but cleaner and doesn't get affected to the same extent as Hove and Shoreham by the neap tide downwind rip. That's where I'll be.
    For sale:
    HSM Superfreak 4.2 £FREE

SW on chimet now,lets hope it keep swinging ahead of schedule.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    but watch out that we are heading into neap tides, and that the longshore rip often gets really bad once a neap tide is on the push.
    Interesting. Why is that then? Intuitively, I would have expected more of a rip during spings, given more water has to move further then.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.