Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    It's possibly worth pointing out that the Portsmouth watersports centre isn't on Hayling, just in case anyone starts driving around the island looking for it.

Did you park in the sports ground carpark opposite BMW/Mini gmac?
    Loose - the opposite of tight. Lose - the one that's pronounced 'looze'.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    It's possibly worth pointing out that the Portsmouth watersports centre isn't on Hayling, just in case anyone starts driving around the island looking for it.

Did you park in the sports ground carpark opposite BMW/Mini gmac?
    yup, I think so RH. this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parking.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	14704

Obviously not as good as the watersports centre when the tide is out!!
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

I'll stick to just one weather thread.

Just to clarify, I don't think we have much wind this weekend.

The wind we were due today (Friday) was lighter than yesterday and the winding down of this NE wind continues tomorrow.

It's also worth noting that the supposedly NE wind was often more NNE than expected.

They started the day at the BWA event at Avon beach this morning with a bit of a breeze, but that turned too offshore there for any counting wave competition to be held.

I was passing by Shoreham beach this afternoon, and several people tried to sail there, but the wind was offshore and very gusty, and so not great for those there – who were mostly on 6m+ sails.
    I understand that Pevensey Bay didn't work either, despite that beach being open to a NE direction. Perhaps the north Kent coast did better.

You also need to watch which way the current heads with a NE wind.

What wind is left over for Saturday looks much lighter, but the ENE or NE wind may perk up again a bit for Sunday.

However, it's Monday when the wind probably returns, and even then, it's probably a weak or marginal easterly, again blowing more ENE on some beaches.

It's worth adding that Sunday's forecast is complicated by the coming together of two fronts along the south coast, so maybe it'll be worth looking again at the Sunday wind forecast, on Saturday evening.
    Last edited by basher; 25th November 2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Sunday, 12 noon.

We'll be in a new weather thread tomorrow, but it's worth noting here how the forecasts aren't really agreeing for today and tomorrow.

Some forecasts had wind for today and others not and, as it turns out, the wind is marginal but sailable in some places but very light elsewhere. We have had gusts to 20mph here in Hove but the wind direction is mostly NNE and therefore not sailable for south-facing beaches. Our local weather stations don't always log accurately what there is with this wind direction, but I see Chimet is logging force 4-5, so hopefully someone is getting out on big slalom gear at harbour sites like Hayling Island.

In the west however, some stations are logging 20mph+ occasionally and as much as 30mph, so maybe it's working for float and ride wave sailing somewhere.

The reason I'm posting here is to talk about Monday. Forecasts agree that the wind turns more Easterly in the South for Monday but the predictions for the wind strength vary a lot. You'll find plenty of stars on GFS-based sites like Windguru, but the Met Office offer a very marginal wind for Monday.

In truth, there probably will be strong wind out in the Channel, but on the coast this may only show itself on beaches near headlands.

I am hoping to sail in the easterly tomorrow, but I think there's also a good chance of a skunking – as has been a recent pattern here. After tomorrow, there is very little wind for the rest of the week – unless you head up to the far north of Scotland. This marks a further change from the original forecast for next week which at one stage had good W or SW wind for the midweek period.

What we now need is further forecast change.

PS. This coming week looks pretty cold.
    Last edited by basher; 27th November 2016 at 12:55 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Hey brasher, I think there will be rideable wind in function of where you go. I'm looking at wavespot that would still work for riding in 15 knots
    looking for some side/side off conditions

Do you know any spots not too far from London that could deliver?

I admire your optimism.

It's just that I don't see strong wind in most places, and the sea is flat.
    There is a longer period swell that arrives in the west as it goes dark – but that is nowhere near London.

So I have no suggestions.

Anyone else?

PS. Who's 'brasher' ?