Error 404 | Boards | The UK's No.1 Windsurfing Magazine

Sorry...

Page Not Found

Please check to make sure the URL is correct, or contact us at support@boards.co.uk to let us know your issue, and we'll do our best to help.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

New wide boards daggerboard or no - tips for newbies

Hello
    and thanks for reading
    I currently live and work in Japan ! So not your usual Devon wave rider I guess
    I have been surfing for over 25 years and have recently got interested in windsurfing
    the area where I live has flat sea water with mostly lighter winds
    I have been looking at second hand wide boards with a 5.5m sail

most of the local guys say that you don't really need a daggerboard which enlarges the options of purchasing a used board - although I would appreciate the advantage of a centre fin or daggerboard

I am 1.69m and 60-65 kgs depending on how many chips I eat each week, lol
    as far as used boards go - 70-80cms wide seems good. So when I see something like a Starboard Isonic 137 at 80cms wide (which is a speed slalom board) is that a big no no
    should I stick with my search to find a bic techno 160 or something very similar
    I am happy to practice / train very hard and stick close to the shore and only sail in onshore winds until I get better

I swim for about 40 minutes every week - in the sea - almost all year round, without a wettie
    I would appreciate your years of wisdom and experience as some used boards are really cheap, like a pound and others go for about 2000 gbp so I really am wondering which one's are worth investing in
    many thanks

Unless you have visions of racing a longboard, I'd suggest an oldish, cheapish wide board like the Techno.
    I'd also say try and get 2 sails around 5.5 and 7.0 as this will give twice as much (fun) time on the water.
    The Isonics are fantastic full on slalom boards and probably not the best to start with as well as being a lot more expensive and fragile !
    Good luck !

K 215 thanks for your reply
    actually the strange thing is I can get an Isonic for half the price of the bic techno
    "cheapish" is exactly what I am looking for
    most of the people around me or my local auction site are selling 'hot' sinker type boards really cheaply but all the 'beginner' type wider boards are crazy expensive
    other items like sails, booms and masts are much easier to come by
    hence my initial post
    the isonic 137 is only 234cms long so definitely not a 'long board'
    as for sails I agree with you, I was thinking more a 5.5 and a 6.8 or something like that, but one step at a time

You don’t need a daggerboard however boards aimed at learners / intermediates are by far the best option. Starboard carve and similar.

If you really have very little choice and it’s a Isonic or nothing then, at your weight, it could work. The limitations will be that it will have a very flat rocker (underwater shape) and hard rails. These characteristics are helpful at high speed and in choppy water but do little for a beginner as the downside is they will make it hard to turn and manoeuvre at low speed. You could counter act this by getting hold of a smaller fin (assuming it comes with a bigish race fin), it would be a compromise but it would get you out on the water.

Good luck.

BottomturnBob
    thanks so much for that informative technical info - I think that is the kind of information I was looking for as it is hard for me to imagine how the boards function differently
    beyond shape, width, length and volume, rocker and rails are also as important to the beginner
    it's just that I am having a hard time finding a 'cheapie' board good for a starter board, but see tons of high end faster type boards at more affordable prices
    I'll try to be patient longer and wait for the right board to come along
    thanks again to both of you for your feedback

Buying the right board is of course the right thing to do – however I know what it is like being somewhere with very limited options. You could do a lot worse than buy an Isonic as it has the right sort of volume and width and they are the most important things, a freewave type fin would make it more manageable however it is not designed for low speed sailing and manoeuvres! You will have to judge how easy it will be to get hold of something else, maybe ring around the sailing schools and see if any have old rental stock to sell? You may just have to pick up the cost of postage as part of the process in getting a suitable board!

Yep
    postage can be a big factor too
    but to give some idea of my current options
    old slalom board 10p
    old falcon board 10gbp
    F2 10gbp
    any 79-80 litre wave board 100 - 150 gbp
    bic techno 160 700gbp
    starboard carve 1300gbp
    as you say I will certainly be doing some manouvers at very slow speeds - got to start somewhere !