Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Yay, very Happy holidays, Winter Vacation and end of Year to everyone,
    I was going sooooo fast... I almost sailed right out of the frame lol ! (nice twist in the sail though, I think the guy behind me was just showing off , and check out the camo beanie )

I seem to be posting a bit these days, I guess I am enjoying the forum. Something that is making winter WS much more comfy is -
    before going out I make a small ( I use the german ones, never leaked in 10 years ) covered hot water bottle - it must take no more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a litre, pretty small.

I wrap my wetsuit around it and put that plus all my other gear in an old polystyrene box that the fish section in my local super market give away (fortunately I picked up a really nice one that doesn't smell at all)

get changed in the car (which is quite a laugh when you have an old Rover Mini) and by the time I am down at the beach I am still warm - that plus a neoprene hoodie and I didn't feel cold at all.

Cheers till next time.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Yay, very Happy holidays, Winter Vacation and end of Year to everyone,
    I was going sooooo fast... I almost sailed right out of the frame lol ! (nice twist in the sail though, I think the guy behind me was just showing off , and check out the camo beanie )
    Excellent you’ve got to be camouflaged ready for war and catching them by surprise!!!

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    I seem to be posting a bit these days, I guess I am enjoying the forum. Something that is making winter WS much more comfy is -
    before going out I make a small ( I use the german ones, never leaked in 10 years ) covered hot water bottle - it must take no more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a litre, pretty small.

I wrap my wetsuit around it and put that plus all my other gear in an old polystyrene box that the fish section in my local super market give away (fortunately I picked up a really nice one that doesn't smell at all)

get changed in the car (which is quite a laugh when you have an old Rover Mini) and by the time I am down at the beach I am still warm - that plus a neoprene hoodie and I didn't feel cold at all.

Cheers till next time.
    That’s very clever.
    Happy new year.

Gybing in the chop with onshore was well, let's say they were not so pretty,
    got in a good 3 hours WS

Cooooooooooooooold !
    if you are getting into, or getting back into WS, from my experience the RDM masts are the way to go (maybe if you are a heavy weight or use massive sails it might not be the case),
    lighter, easier to handle, easier to downhaul, smaller - when you buy your first set if you can get an RDM, go for it (you can use an RDM in any SDM sail but not vice versa)

my current new goal is getting the FRONT foot in the front foot strap and riding with the back foot in the center of the back of the board, had some very fast sessions and some superb high speed wipeouts, a full smack in the mouth of icy water brings you crashing back to reality,
    learning to tack and gybe in the bumpiest conditions - feel like I am on drugs sometimes it's so wibbly wobbly, (remember those -'weebles wobble but they don't fall down, lol)

I don't think we'll have any more snow this year - so I guess I have made it through the coldest patch - all the way to spring now !

On my last session it snowed everyday for the last 3 days. That morning I got my wettie off the line and it was frozen! Got to the beach and the water around the drinking fountain was frozen, it was still frozen at 2.00pm when I got back in.

After about 40 minutes your fingers start to feel cold like steel. You go back in and then the blood comes back into your fingers and it feels like someone put each of them on a charcoal BBQ, you walk up and down the beach going fu fu fudge and people look at you like 'what's wrong with him ?'

Air temperature was 1-3 deg and the snow let you know that the wind was onshore. (lowest temp in Hokaido last week was minus 30 something!) Earlier on this week it blew over 30kts and one guy clocked a 52.2 kph before his fingers fell off!

Falling in is now painful and I am looking forward to some springy weather soon.