Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    The Manta will frighten you to death! The AHD is a freeride board and provided it is sound is probably as good as you are going to get unless you are prepared to pay a lot more. It is mostly a traditional freeride shape and design although somewhat wider than was usual at the time.......you could say it was a bit ahead of its time. Unlike the more modern wide freerides you will however pay the penalty for that width in stronger winds and choppier water but for lighter winds it should be good.

Wow thanks for the in depth feedback
    where I live it is almost 100 percent flat flat flat, ie very small chop, lighter winds in general with the odd gusty day, but mostly lighter, the AHD comes with a neil pryde 7.5m sail, but the guy wanted about 300 gbp for the whole lot
    the Manta was on offer for about 250, but no fin and nothing else,
    if I can get a really good deal on the AHD I may go for it, if not back to "trawling" again,
    yes, I really appreciate all your thorough experienced based input, cheers
    http://02.windzoo.net/
    Last edited by astroboy; 22nd December 2017 at 12:42 PM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Go for the Manta. You will not regret it it is light and wide making it stable, you will plane early and you'll carry on using it in those conditions for ever.
    It is a board for the pleasure of planing in. If it is not planing conditions it does not matter if it's wobbly as that is not the conditions you want it for but it will bring you back when you sink the windward rail. A 48 to 50 cm blade fin will give you what you need.
    It is a board you will keep so you will make a saving in not having to change it again like you will do with the ahd.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Go for the Manta. You will not regret it it is light and wide making it stable, you will plane early and you'll carry on using it in those conditions for ever.
    It is a board for the pleasure of planing in. If it is not planing conditions it does not matter if it's wobbly as that is not the conditions you want it for but it will bring you back when you sink the windward rail. A 48 to 50 cm blade fin will give you what you need.
    It is a board you will keep so you will make a saving in not having to change it again like you will do with the ahd.
    What are you talking about? He is a relative beginner. The nose will be sinky, the foot straps are almost on the rails and it will scare the willies out of him the first planning run. Then take into account the catapult stage, the nose will be mashed inside a month. At least the AHD has a chance and they are surprisingly good. The board is more stable, tough and has a good selection of strap positions.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    What are you talking about? He is a relative beginner. The nose will be sinky, the foot straps are almost on the rails and it will scare the willies out of him the first planning run. Then take into account the catapult stage, the nose will be mashed inside a month. At least the AHD has a chance and they are surprisingly good. The board is more stable, tough and has a good selection of strap positions.
    You're projecting.

Great,
    it's good to have different opinions and ideas. I made a low offer for the AHD as the guy can bring it to my house. Trying to find something over 115 litres and over 60cms wide is really hard. Almost every board is a slalom board or a 70 litre wave board. Trawling ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Great,
    it's good to have different opinions and ideas. I made a low offer for the AHD as the guy can bring it to my house. Trying to find something over 115 litres and over 60cms wide is really hard. Almost every board is a slalom board or a 70 litre wave board. Trawling ahead.
    This is a general problem I've found with secondhand kit, and magazine content etc: most windsurfers tend to be fairly advanced, with beginners like me fairly rare. With most other sports I've done and do you tend to find a broader spectrum of abilities, and thus more beginner's kit available. This sub-forum for beginners is a rare gem and I've learnt a lot from it. Incidentally, I've also learnt a lot from windsurfers I chat to on the beach - swapping kit isn't that unusual too, which can be really interesting.

For the record, I bought my beginners/intermediate stuff ex hire/school. Such stuff is so easy to sell on to learners and hirers from the schools that it rarely hits the general secondhand market (E-Bay etc). I'd advise against something too tippy and advanced; it'll only hold you back or even put you off. This especially applies if your location has light winds and doesn't get that choppy, as you've described it, because more advanced boards show their main advantages when it gets more blowy and choppy, so you won't have the right tool for the job most of the time.

I'm guessing if like me you're mostly going out in flatish water in 7-12 knots, then with a sail you can constantly uphaul and handle easily (<6.5m) you'll be sub-planning and practising tacks, gybes etc. A decent dedicated beginners/intermediate board will be perfect for that, and on the odd days where it's 12-20 knots you can still get on the plane and enjoy it. A board designed for use in what for us are rarer conditions (or with a massive sail) probably isn't as suitable, for obvious reasons.

I'm a beginner/intermediate, so please feel free to criticise or dismiss the above!