Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Time of year to start?

Greetings. After a few hopeless lessons in Greece over the years I have made a decision to try and crack this windsurfing lark. Even to the point of putting my golf membership on hold for a year to concentrate on practice. I work shift-work and for only 12 days a month so should be able to get plenty of time in. I won't beat around the bush - I don't do cold very well. I have looked into purchasing a 5mm winter wetsuit, boots, gloves, etc. to get started, the thing is - when is the best time of the year to start having lessons in Berkshire to avoid the real cold temperatures? I was thinking of joining a club around the end of March 2017 or should I start earlier?

Cardy

Super Moderator
    Water temperatures in Berkshire will be very low at the end of March. It could be done but a very tough way to start.

Better to leave it for at least another month. You'll progress much more rapidly in more comfortable temperatures.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 24th November 2016 at 11:08 PM.

It depends what type of spring we get, obviously it will be a bit more pleasant and appealing with the sun shining.

You will definitely need a 5mm suit that time of year though, especially as you may spend a reasonable amount of time falling in initially. And if your doing it inland the water may be colder anyway.

I usually start windsurfing again around march/april time.

Picking your days on the wind forecast is far more important than the water temp.

If you can find a good school they will put you on a barge of a board to start with, very wide and stable. If you combine this with a very steady 5-10 mph wind you won’t fall in as much as you would think. A decent suit and boots and you won’t get too cold. Good luck.

Actually thinking about it, the boards were so big when learning I could just climb straight back on them anyway, so didn't spend too long hanging around in the water.

It's when you hit the intermediate stage and are trying use footstraps/harness and learning to water start you may spend a lot of time in the water.

I think end of March will be OK - especially if it is a bright day, or if air temperature is 10 degrees or more. Dont even think about it if air temp is 6 or less. Make sure you are well wrapped up and toasty warm for all the rigging up kerfuffle before you change into your wetsuit.

My second ever lesson was at Queen Mary in February many years ago with an ill fitting 3mm wetsuit, trainers, no gloves or hat, and fin fell off my board so I fell in continuously for first 20 minutes. I still enjoyed it despite the hypothermia....

And welcome to the forum - do ask any questions you want going forward - most of us will be super motivated to make sure you never have reason to return to the dark side again (golf). Although as you progress I suspect they are very compatible activities as the weather conditions that are good for intermediate + windsurfing will not suit golfing.

I thought mikerb would've chimed in by now, but maybe he's gone awol, so I'll do it on his behalf - forget the wetsuit & get a drysuit. Then you can start now without getting cold if you get some decent gloves to go with it. The potential problems associated with drysuits & thick gloves won't be an issue for a beginner, & a decent drysuit's around the same price as a decent winter wetsuit, so there's no excuse.