Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    How did it go Cardy?

Well, that was a non starter, haha. I had a call advising it would be too windy for a beginner. I now start next week.

Sounds like a good plan to be fair; lakes have been extremely cold lately and are just starting to get noticeably warmer now. Enjoy!

Finally got out there. Had a one to one at Datchet yesterday. Although not very windy it was still really great to get a feel for what's going on. Started out on dry land on the training rig and was then shown how to set up a boom to the sail and then connect it to the board. After my first dunking I found out how good the wetsuit is I bought - O'Neill Psychotec 5mm, I couldn't even feel the water inside it or my boots. I only stayed out for about 50 minutes but to be quite honest I was about knackered by then. It was like doing a full workout in the gym. I managed to get underway and make a few static turns, I think I fell in 4 times all in all. I didn't think I'd gone very far and was quite surprised when back on dry land and saw the route I'd taken. This was because I spent the whole time looking at the board, the water and my feet. Next time I'll try and look where I'm going. A shakey start but I took a lot away with me to think about and look forward to my next visit which should be on Easter Sunday. Hopefully it will be a tad more windy - but not too much. I have to say the instructor Paul was very good and also very patient.

Well done Cardy ... Welcome to our tribe
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Cheers Silicon. I have a question. I'm reading through some instruction booklets I picked up at tacking and gybing. If you were sailing close hauled and wanted to turn 180 degrees to finish broad reached would you tack to this position or steer away from the wind? I.e. would it be best to avoid the no wind zone? Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing, you know what they say about giving someone a little knowledge.

Thanks for for the update! Welcome to windsurfing!

In answer to your question, you can tack or gybe 180 in that situation. You may wish to go slightly downwind first to build up momentum for a fast tack (which you're probably not doing yet), but the nice thing about windsurfing is that the 'no go' zone doesn't pose a problem - you can't actually sail pointing towards the wind, but you can do a static turn or tack through it as slow or as fast as you like without a problem. That's because unlike a boat you can point the sail wherever you like. The choice of tack of gybe will usually just be if you're planning on travelling upwind (a tack moves you upwind) or downwind (you'll travel downwind quite a bit in a gybe).