Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks for the advice. Gives me something to think about. Iv'e not got to the manoeuvring stage yet but hopefully it won't be too long. Got to find my sea legs still. All a bit wobbly at times but I think it will be like riding a bike and good balance will just kick in all of a sudden.

The wobbliness will quickly go as you progress. It's also much easier to balance when you progress to stronger winds and bigger sails, because you hang off the sail, rather than standing upright.

Time for an update. Well, things really got off to a slow start. As soon as I joined Datchet, they closed down and moved the whole show to Queen Mary. I got my application form in and finally got on a beginners course in June. Unfortunately on day one of the course I went arse over tit and caught my foot in the boom as I went over. Finished the day hobbling around, anyway, I came back for the second day and couldn't find any balance so didn't finish the course. Went to the quacks on Monday with a really sore big toe and he suspected it was broken so he sent me for an xray, haha not a great start. It turned out not to be broken but internal damage. Anyway, managed to book onto another course at the weekend and joy of joys completed it and now have a nice new RYA start windsurfing certificate. I did the course on a 250 ltr board, what guidance can anyone give for how soon I should start moving down board sizes now I can just pop along and take out their kit - I joined as a full member with kit hire and all tuition included.

Stick to the big barges until you can sail along and turn without too much trouble. Everything gets more stable when the board is moving through the water and you have your weight against the pull in the sail. Before you get there you are better off on the biggest board you can get, once basics are sorted you will find you will be comfortable dropping a lot of volume quickly. But no point rushing it.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. Queen Mary do group coaching if you have the Start Windsurfing certificate and it is included in the fees so I've booked on the next one and will see how I progress.

learning with others is good as you're all in the same boat and can give you confidence as everyone is struggling with it initially.
    Windsurfing can be daunting at the start. You will feel frustrated and exhausted. You might feel its impossible but don't worry thats how most started. Especially if not a kid anymore.
    For sure you need persistance and slowly you will see improvement and things will get better.
    Perhaps as you start feeling comfortable on the big 250L that is the time to start going down.

A great place for beginners if you can drive is Poole Harbour at mid/low tide as you are always touching so don't get exhaused just by climbing on the board.

Thanks Andy. As I say I have the RYA start cert now so am making good progress. I like your comment re:'not a kid anymore', ha I'm 54 so no spring chicken. The club I'm at has group coaching for beginners every Saturday for the next 5 weeks so will try to get to as many of those as possible. As a motorcyclists I thought I'd take that exhilaration to the water. Pool is about 2 hrs away so will stick with the QM reservoir for now and through the winter. I can already see that this sport is probably best kept up on a regular basis - as a beginner - rather than leave it for months between sessions. I'm hoping to just stop from Jan to Feb, maybe even not then if we have a mild winter.