Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

soft racks, racks CLASSIC mini, transporting the board

Hello
    I have just started to post and am hoping to get a board soon but will also need to get the board to the beach

does anyone have any tips for people like me - my transport is a classic mini cooper (not the bmw one) would soft racks work,
    do I need hard racks.

I know my car is not the most ideal vehicule for transporting a windsurf board (maybe an inflatable would fit) but that is what I have to work with
    thanks for looking

Soft racks will work if your not going far. They have disadvantages though in that the board agreed/kit/rack is in contact with the roof of the car and can mark it a bit. Also if it rains water runs down the strap that goes through the car and drips in. I'm pretty sure I've seen hard roof racks on old school minis but guess assum aren't made any more?

I bought one and used it in Corsica for carrying kit. It did a good job at speeds up to 50ish. Over that the kit would move a bit, don't think it would come off it was just a little unnerving . The problem was that the dust from the roads (which was quite bad) got under the pads on the roof and managed to sand at the paintwork on a brand new hire car, had to go to a garage and by some polish to try and rectify the problem. Luckily they were more interested to check the more regular bumbers and wings for dents than they were the roof so I got away with it. It was quite bad!

Quote Originally Posted by TallJames View Post
    Also if it rains water runs down the strap that goes through the car and drips in.
    Drips? More like gushes in by my experience. You can’t use them when it’s raining. If it starts raining when you’re underway it’s so bad you have to stop under a bridge or something.
    I use these a lot, every time I come back to Blighty and get a hire car, at speeds up to 80 & no problems at all except the rain thing.
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.

I use soft racks, some times with a long board, it'll help to tie the nose and tail down to the front & back bumper if you're going any distance and the board overlaps the roof. I've still got some heavy duty soft racks that dakine built for a while and they work OK, I've even taken 5 mtr kayaks from Folkestone to Bristol at 80+ mph, so it's all doable. Just tie the front and back down as well.

It never rains on me so I don't have that issue.

A classic mini will have old school roof rails, these must be the easiest of racks to get.

Cheers people
    looks like soft racks will have to be the way
    unless I come across something that will hold on to the minis very slim roof lip
    only problem is both racks have to go through the front door, being only 2 door
    one of the reasons I have been looking at short fat boards - rather than long skinny ones
    I don't intend to windsurf much if it's raining and I guess I'll just have to watch the paintwork but you wouldn't notice on my car anyway
    cheers for the input - still hunting for that 'perfect' board at the 'right' price !