Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK windsurfing weather from December 5th, 2016

This week starts with another frosty morning and I'm guessing the cold temperatures have put most off even thinking about windsurfing recently.

But all that is set to change this week, with warmer air moving in from today and daytime temperatures should again top the 10 degree threshold.

The high pressure that has sat overhead is finally breaking down this week and we see a more unsettled weather pattern as the week goes on. Low pressure in the west will bring wind to Ireland first and then the North West of England should start to see some wind by mid week.

The hope is that this wind also moves across to give us sailable wind along the south coast, but the progress will be slow and we'll also have SSW or even southerly wind at times, marginal at first.

If you have checked Windguru as often as I have you'll know they have been carrying stars for some time, but that the wind strength on offer has also gone up and down. The latest version, as of 11am this morning, is again looking good. That said, the Met Office weather forecast is less optimistic for the Southeast, at this stage.

But at least there is some hope in sight. And this thread is to monitor what is heading our way. The weekend is too far off to call yet but the current forecast is good. Other runs have less weekend wind, or for the stronger wind to go through overnight. So you can't make plans just yet.

If you look out west on the Met Office charts, you can see how complex and cluttered incoming weather pattern is.
    http://www.metbrief.com/EGRR.html
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Note to Shinglies: If current forecasts are accurate an intense low pressure will swoop NW from the azores from mid week creating a big SW swell that should get up the channel. Even if the weekend wind is disappointing (it looks touch and go to me!) there might be some fun to be had with float and ride/windsup/sup or surf. As usual, the further west you can go the bigger it will be!
    Going to interviews, hence wind is back. In case you were wondering...

FOR SALE:
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

Well it's now Wednesday and some wind has arrived – for the west coast.
    Good to see that Rhosneigr has plenty of wind this morning.

Here in the Southeast we have a forecast for a marginal but building wind but, so far, it's way off what is expected.

There's still some wind forecast for the coming weekend, but the wind detail keeps changing, at this stage.

Watch out that Shoreham beach site is down, currently logging NE wind when in fact the wind direction is as forecast, from the SSW.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, 490, Nuevo 73 2013 550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here contact via the weather thread!

Wednesday 7pm.
    Have you had any wind in your area today? – The Northwest has, but other areas have had way less than forecast.

Here in Hove, we are supposed to have 14mph right now according to the Met Office and 15-24knots according to Windguru.

We have about 7mph.

The Met Office now give a mid morning wind peak of about 17mph for Thursday, which might be sailable – but can we trust that forecast?

And I see the GFS-based 'windy forecast' for the weekend has now backed right off, as shown on the latest GFS run.
    Let's hope that changes again.

Thursday, 8.30am.
    We didn't get the overnight wind here that was forecast, but we do have a building breeze this morning, so let's see what happens.

The forecast is for the best wind this morning with the Met Office giving a peak of about 17mph gusting into the 20s.
    We've had 15mph+ already, but it's also the forecast SSW rather than SW or WSW.

And it's pretty mild out there.
    Last edited by basher; 8th December 2016 at 08:34 AM.

Wind came up and bit..... and then dropped again. Sigh.

Looks completely dead from Bracklesham down to Bournemouth - that forecast seems to have evapourated