Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

UK windsurfing/xmas weather, from December 19th, 2016

Anyone on Xmas holidays yet?
    There's good news and then there's bad news to start this weather thread.

The good news from a windsurfing point of view is that the Jet Stream has finally woken from its winter slumber and will send some active weather systems our way this week. (See chart link, below.)

The bad news is that some wind goes through overnight, there will also be some rain, and it may also honk just at the time you're supposed to be sitting down for a Xmas lunch with your family. Hands up who is free to sail on Xmas morning? Let's hope we get some wind for Xmas Eve or Boxing day.

Winter has arrived for a lot of North America and we're being told that the warmer air in southern states buffers up against the incoming colder air and that, in turn, is energising the Atlantic Jet Stream. By mid week there's a massive low in the North Atlantic, at 953mb. That low heads our way and then breaks down the high we have had for some time. In the early stages, this means wind for the west coast and for northern parts, but some wind eventually arrives for the Southeast too. Then, as the forecast stands, it blows really hard for the end of this week, plus there will be waves.

So we'll be monitoring this forecast as it firms up, and this thread is for making plans at a time when you may have a lot of other things to do.

In the short term, here in the Southeast I'm hoping to grab a brief session on Wednesday, ahead of some afternoon rain. But that could be just a taster of what's to come.

Add your weather comments and share your windsurfing plans here.

http://www.metbrief.com/EGRR.html
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

So it's Tuesday and the wind has arrived for the west and northwest coast of Ireland, and for the west of Scotland.
    Good to see too, that Rhoisneigr has 20mph at the moment.

Here in the Southeast we get wind overnight tonight, and then the hope is we find good leftover wind for Wednesday morning, ahead of the rain.
    But the front expected is a complex one and there maybe misty and drizzly conditions from the get go tomorrow. The forecasts also disagree about how long this wind lasts on Wednesday.

I'm getting from the Met Office that the wind should last until early afternoon, but GFS-based forecasts say it drops earlier.

Best advice is to get out early if you can and to expect a wind drop at some point. The further east you are the longer the wind should last and it may be that places like Camber Sands keep wind well into the afternoon.

Low water in the Southeast is at about 10.40am.
    Around my location, it's probably a Shoreham or Lancing day, due to tide times and the likely SSW wind direction.
    Last edited by basher; 20th December 2016 at 11:13 AM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

Camber for me tomorrow obviously....

Wednesday, it's daylight and it's windy.... Wtf... ��

Anyone visiting Wales, this site has details of literally every beach there is : beachguide.wales

The forecast changed a bit in that the wind has lasted longer than expected for some Southeast beaches.

We still have 25mph here in Hove, now SW, and Worthing is logging something similar – but I see it has just dropped on Chimet.

We're having another lot of rain now, so I guess it may drop here as the rain clears. The far Southeast should keep this wind longest.

Oooh.
    Check out windguru for next week.