Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2016

Rod you are so right. Nick was also on Fuerte and saying it was howling.
    Whereabouts do you go and stay? I'll look into it for next year.
    As I say it was our 6th year and I've always had 4-5 days out of 7 but a change may be good if it's still family friendly.
    At least the Mrs and the little'n loved all the attention and the surf was ok.
    Last edited by boards_martinc; 4th January 2017 at 03:43 PM.
    2016 - 2x El Med, 2x Marazion, 2x Ile de Re, 2x Hayling = 8
    2015-15

I was lucky with timings and managed an above average 2016.
    At home and away, we had some great sessions. The East Cost sessions were way more than average, also got over to Rhosneigr on four trips.

Even with injury taking me out for 10 weeks I think it was a good one. The only real lack of wind was in Cornwall in October, but the SUP sessions more than made up for it.

Christmas was an unusual wind direction, we got one NE day and the rest SE, managing to sail all but two days out of a fortnight in Lanzarote.

Hopefully we'll score even more next year.

M
    Powered by..Juice Boardsports

My worse year since I started, I normally spend 6 weeks abroad but only managed 3 this year (but fortunately windy every day), no days out at home and a broken foot followed by 2 months of a viral infection has also not helped. Workload has also been huge but this has lead me to start planning my early retirement so I can windsurf as much as I want while still able so a silver lining in there as well.
    Windsurfing days in 2013: 42
    New toys for 2013: 120L Fanatic Gecko 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hayesite View Post
    My worse year since I started, I normally spend 6 weeks abroad but only managed 3 this year (but fortunately windy every day), no days out at home and a broken foot followed by 2 months of a viral infection has also not helped. Workload has also been huge but this has lead me to start planning my early retirement so I can windsurf as much as I want while still able so a silver lining in there as well.
    I'm also planning my retirement however as i have circa 25 years of work left it's a bit distant.

We stayed in a Lajares, smack between all the sailing spots (airbnb). You need a car, but the key thing in Fuerte is that there are so many places to sail whichever direction the wind comes from (in fact too many and its easy to not be in the optimum place as I found out this year, and its also common to be able to choose between, onshore - side - side off).

All the directions that are cr*p in el medano (SE, W, SW etc) are very often epic in Fuerte.

The only one downside (for a coward like me) is that the waves are often very big (though mostly with channels to get out around the waves).

eg Christmas eve

but with a huge channel to the left

Quote Originally Posted by boards_martinc View Post
    Rod you are so right. Nick was also on Fuerte and saying it was howling.
    Whereabouts do you go and stay? I'll look into it for next year.
    As I say it was our 6th year and I've always had 4-5 days out of 7 but a change may be good if it's still family friendly.
    At least the Mrs and the little'n loved all the attention and the surf was ok.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

The best month in 2016 for me was September, which is usually one of the worst, but it was windy almost every day this year, and uncrowded. February, March and the summer were all pretty consistent as usual, but as Martin and Rod have mentioned the past few weeks have been dire. This isn't really a problem for me these days as I do a lot more Mtb-ing and writing (a novel, and a windsurfing / travel memoir - watch this space). And it's all relative - I still got around 150 - 200 decent days on the water, mostly just in a shortie, so I can't really complain.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

2016 was ok. too cold until late march to do any regular sailing, after that the spring was good. Summer not so windy, sailed a few new spots in 2016 but not many DTL days. Late summer I landed my first forward and have improved quite a bit in that since then, that was a big moment that forward and will make 2016 a memorable windsurfing year for sure.