Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skoda Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Thanks need a 4x4 for the rural aprts of south devon where it will live and quite attracted by its small exterior dimensions unlike evrything else. We will buying S/H. Better go and have a closer look at one judging by these favourable reports. The other vehicle that gets highly recommended in the smaller 4x4 category is the Honda CRV.
    The CRV is significantly bigger and more expensive. I know somebody who is on their fourth, so obviously pretty happy with it (and lives in very rural South Devon). It does seem to wallow around.

Personally I think the Yetil is a nice looking car and the Honda a real minger, like most modern Hondas, but that's something anybody can judge for themselves. The real question is whether either lives up to their reputation for reliability, and I've heard enough to suggest that either could disappoint, but is probably as good a bet as you are going to get.

CRV is much bigger but then again so is everything compared to the yeti. Most of the others like Sportage etc have load carying compromised by having sloping tailgates etc whereas the Yeti is a box. Your friend must be putting some miles on to go through 4!! We have considered a subaru forrester but cant find many secondhand. Also had a look at an Xtrail which doesnt seem too big and quite practical. Everything else suddenly goes up to Discovery, X5 sizing which is ridiculous for our needs already got a van that size.

They're generally well regarded by owners and magazines that review them.

The biggest issue I would have thought would be carrying your windsurfing stuff. My car's roof is just below chest height, so lifting things on the roof is a piece of cake (I take two boards and one big rig bag). A mini SUV is another matter entirely and I'm not sure I could get my kit onto the roof at all without using a step ladder. If we rule out the roof, then with most cars you'd chuck everything inside instead, but mini-SUVs tend to be quite short and high rather than low and long. My 430 mast for example has a section 2.3m long, which I wouldn't have thought would fit; it's a tight fit in a large car. A board would be harder still.

I've always lived out in the sticks and find 4WD unnecessary, even in snow, but if you're actually venturing off the lanes and driving off road then you'll need the ground clearance and possibly the traction of 4WD; which leaves you stuck between lifting stuff up onto the roof of a small SUV, or buying a huge SUV to put the stuff inside.

I'd take a tape measure if you have a look at one.

i walked past a Yeti yesterday and thought it was very short in length i'm not sure i would get my sub 220 boards in it

for me putting kit on the roof is always a pain in the arse especially when its really windy i have seen loads of kit shoot off down the carpark when its time to get it on or of the roof

i agree ground clearance is more important then 4x4 for most situations i used to have a citreon Xantia that was taken across fields and tracks to get to mobile phone base stations and being able to pump the suspension up was just great it handled everything as long as you don't rev it to death and use a higher gear most cars will pull you out of most situations auto's are good for this as well

Quote Originally Posted by boards_martinc View Post
    Citroen Cactus is the little one that appeals to me if I lived nearer a beach.
    Had one for a few days while my car was in for repair after some muppet scratched it. I did not enjoy the Cactus one bit. The main complaint was comfort, the pedals are stupidly close together that I had to be really careful not to depress two at the same time. No wonder the clutch was on the way to failure in a car that had barely done 4k. The fact the whole seating position was on the pish didn't help either. All added up to a poor experience, a noisy one too. Just as bad was Pug/Citroen seem to have decided to ditch all controls for everything and put them in a touch screen. This is a recipe for a car crash. Something simple as adjusting the blower and temp from your feet to the windscreen so you can see where you are going requires navigating through a menu on the blooming screen. If you are in radio mode at the time for instance, that is a faff which takes your eyes off the road for far too long. Whoever allowed that to go through should be put up against the wall come the revolution.
    Last edited by phill104; 19th January 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Your friend must be putting some miles on to go through 4!!
    They've been making them since 1995 - obviously different models.

I've heard that Grand Vitari are good for real rural use.

CRVs look superficially like they've got good ground clearance but there's something bulbous hanging down underneath.

I think you'll find that you can get a short board in a Yeti, particularly a recent board. Just be sure to get the fold-forward passenger seat.
    Last edited by /\/ico; 19th January 2017 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill104 View Post
    Had one for a few days while my car was in for repair after some muppet scratched it. I did not enjoy the Cactus one bit. The main complaint was comfort, the pedals are stupidly close together that I had to be really careful not to depress two at the same time. No wonder the clutch was on the way to failure in a car that had barely done 4k. The fact the whole seating position was on the pish didn't help either. All added up to a poor experience, a noisy one too. Just as bad was Pug/Citroen seem to have decided to ditch all controls for everything and put them in a touch screen. This is a recipe for a car crash. Something simple as adjusting the blower and temp from your feet to the windscreen so you can see where you are going requires navigating through a menu on the blooming screen. If you are in radio mode at the time for instance, that is a faff which takes your eyes off the road for far too long. Whoever allowed that to go through should be put up against the wall come the revolution.
    Bummer. I just like the funky rubber panels on the outside.
    2018: El Med 3. Cornwall 3.