What's the deal with junior boards?

Just looking into something that I've never thought about before - junior boards. Specifically intermediate / advanced fs, fr or fsw boards around 100l - what would the difference be between junior and standard boards in these categories?

Sam

I would guess that they are tuned for much lighter sailors and for a given size are more manoeuvrable. So a standard 100l board would be aimed as a lightwind board or for heavier sailors – it would have less rocker, less vee and harder rails to improve early planning and work with powerful sails. The same size Jnr board would have much more control orientation, rocker, vee, soft rails as early planning is less of an issue and high manoeuvrability with smaller sails / less power is the aim.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Curious.. I only recall Starbrd and JP , ever making kids boards, what boards are you referring to? 100l would be rather big for a kids board. I see a kids Flare 81l

having said that I do have any sail a pro kids Starboard Formula, it's 117 liter,
    its heavy, in a durable construction, wants more wind, but faster in the same wind as my standard formula board.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Interesting, thanks guys. Was just trying to think if there would be a scenario where an adult might be better off using a kids board to help get some experience using a smaller board.

Pretty sure I've seen a JP kids board at 115L! I know they have different footstrap positions to adjust for shorter legs but, as Bob made a good point about control and stability, it makes me wonder whether lighter and/or shorter people at a certain skill level might improve faster by learning on a kids board.

I have a Fanatic Ripper, and it is a 102 - i would say it is slightly wider than a 'standard' 100l board. It is also flatter on the rocker - which would allow the child to be slightly less foot sensitive - ie if the moved back down the board and pulled the sail back it wouldnt track upwind as much as a freeride. I am not sure how much i would use it as a board for me, i would go from my 90l to my 150l windsup to cruise around on while the kids were sailing.