Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Board - Futura 117

Decided to treat myself and upgrade from a 2012 board to 2017, just thought I would share.

2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 01, B&J/Wave 00, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03
    2015 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 07

Looks very nice. Good carpet to......With a new job im mulling over the need for a big sail and blasting combo so why that size of Futura rather than the next ones up or down?

Its quite a difference from the 2012 board, the 2017 Futura's dimensions look more like the 2012 Isonic's. JP's freerace moved closer to the slalom model this year as well.

Is it a trick of the light/colour of the board, but does it have quite a lot of 'v' or Double concave in the hull? Should be comfortable over the chop even if it is a bit slower than a flatter bottom shape.
    You get a decent fin as well, none of the G10 thick and heavy fins as OE with other boards.

Looks great, what sort of wind strength, seastate and sail size will this be fun for you?

I'm sort of tempted, but whenever I borrow or demo kit like this I feel like I have had my arms pulled out of their sockets. Not sure if it's because the kit is not set up to suit my weight/height or if I'm too used to coasting along on wave kit.
    Powered by..Juice Boardsports

To answer questions above.

I was after the 2016 124ltr to replace my 131ltr as it was in the 76-78cm wide slot that I like as my biggest, cant get on with 80cm+ boards, as I don't have the leverage to get the best out of them. As it happened the UK was sold out, so I had to order the nearest equivalent 2017 board last year. TallJames, if you want a cheap one, Jim has my old one for sale, carbon version, no softspots, just a few scratches.

iSonic rocker line but more rounded rails at the back, with a bit of V.

I will use this with 9.3m/47.5cm, 8.5m/47.5cm, 7.8m/47.5cm & 42cm, 7.0m/42cm & 39cm and at a push 6.4m/39cm.
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 01, B&J/Wave 00, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03
    2015 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 07

Thanks, sounds like you have all wind strengths covered there! Your van must be creaking to fit all that and your wave gear in, I suppose you pack selectively.
    There seems to be much more Slalom sailing/training, going on in Costa on our recent trips which gets you thinking that looks fun. Also guys who only wave sailed before are getting slalom gear.