choosing a sail to learn

Hello, i've never windsurfed before and i got a freestyle board for free. it's 246 long x 61 wide 91litre and im 75kg.
    i know it's not the right board to learn and that i will fall A LOT! but i don't have money for a diferent board.
    can anyone recomend a sail size, type, etc. that can make the learning process a bit easier.

thanks in advance and sorry for bad english.

High welcome, where are you based?

That board is going to be to small to learn on. You need lots of volume and lift to help you learn - 140L volume and 75 cm wide as minimum starting points. You will find it very difficult to stand on that board and lift a sail out of the water.

Assuming you can sort a board out i would recommend any wave sail or simple 4 or 5 batten sail. Size wise 4.5m to 5.5m tends to be the best option, make sure it matches the mast you have as otherwise it will never rig up well.

Your English is fine - welcome to the windsurfing forum! :-)

At BTB says, that's a completely unsuitable board to learn on I'm afraid. It's not just that your skills aren't up to it, you'll be sailing in a very different way as a beginner to an intermediate onwards. I'll explain:

As a beginner, you'll be turning using something called a static turn, which will require you to place your weight in front of the mast, and that board will probably sink the nose if you try that. You'll also be getting going by uphauling (rather than waterstarting or beachstarting, which is what intermediate sailors onwards will do), and a 91 litre board that narrow will be extremely hard for a 75kg guy to uphaul, even if they're advanced. The board will also be pretty rubbish at low speeds in light winds, and will be primarily designed for planing - even an advanced sailor of your weight would choose a much bigger board for light winds.

Most beginners start on something around 180L, maybe less, but as BTB says, 140ish litres would be the absolute minimum. As for sails, in my opinion the ideal would be around 3.5 to 4 metres, progressing to a 4.5 after some experience. Light weight is key as you won't be hanging off the boom as a beginner, you'll be standing up and moving the sail around a lot, plus of course uphauling it too. That's for 5-10 knots of wind. With that board though it wouldn't really work.

Sorry to be negative!

All of the above is good advice but the question I guess is what do you do about it. One option might be to sell your "free" board to generate some cash to buy something more suitable. A brand new learner would normally take a significant amount of time to progress to that type of board so it is probably best moved on now rather than being stored and perhaps losing more value. Another option might be to hire or take lessons ( kit inclusive) if you have any facility like that near you............or maybe borrow some kit? Your priority needs to be both safe on the water and to be able to progress your skills without being frustrated by inappropriate equipment. Unfortunately there is an initial investment that needs to be made to get into this sport and you will no doubt notice that small low volume boards can be purchased second hand relatively cheaply whilst good learner boards always fetch something of a premium. On the other hand those boards also hold a good resale value so should not be difficult to sell when it is time for you to move on. I hope you get it sorted.