Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Stev-0 View Post

Kona/Exocet 10'6 Surf:said "hey that board can turn!" when they saw it in action
    Steve-0

How do you set yours up? I struggle a little with my 9'6 if there is too much chop. I have found tail turns AKA longboard pivots the only way to really turn it convincingly on a wave. I haven't successfully bottom turned off the topped in a conventional sense, to the point I prefer riding it strapless.

Any guidance welcomely received.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Aged 42 View Post
    Shouldn't Roberts get the credit for the original short hull concept. They had a rubber flap protruding from the back of the hull.
    I had one and it was good shape.
    Ah whatever happened to "flappers"? There was even a surf-widow cartoon which centred on a mal-entendu between "flapper" and "slapper". Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.T View Post
    The 2009 mistral twin was far from the first generation of twin fin waves from mistral. Try the 1997 mistral sle 253 twinzer, 55wide I think 69 litres.
    Well corrected, it was the first of the latter day Twin fins although there had been many boards before with twin fins but probably not as short or low volume as those SLE's which were the first products as Mistral Engineers began to break new ground in a small as yet little know company called Cobra. That was 1994, we sold a few but even then folk struggled with the Twin fin concept and we converted quite a few into thrusters by adding a single fin so we could clear them. They were OK for lightweights but at only 67-70 ltrs bigger sailors struggled unless it was howling. Landed my first back loop on one at Klitmoeller, then smashed my glasses, bloodied my eye and burst an ear drum after going for a double and failing, never sailed one again and stuck to a single fin.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    at the risk of meandering a little OT, I'm interested, but not entirely surprised to see the Kona included. I was very taken by the idea at the time and, if I lived by the sea, I'd have got myself one. However they're a bit more of a hassle when it comes to van life and so for that reason, I didn't. Now that we also have the option of windSUPing as a lighter wind alternative, I'm curious as whether that might now fill much of the space the Kona was/is relevant to, or whether I might still keep my eye open for a reasonably priced Kona.
    The first time I was offered a go on the Kona it was as a SUP, this was 2006-7 and I'd only just invented the SUP concept. ;-) Naturaly I refused the offered paddle to protect my 'manliness' and took it out with a big rig to play in the waves on the reef in the light airs, figuring it was quicker to pump it with a sail than bugger about with a paddle, I mean, why would you? Of the Exocet period at Surf Sales, it was the board we sold the most of and there are a few kicking around second hand, we have some at our club, so if ever you were down this way come the summer you could just go plug and play I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    Well corrected, it was the first of the latter day Twin fins although there had been many boards before with twin fins but probably not as short or low volume as those SLE's which were the first products as Mistral Engineers began to break new ground in a small as yet little know company called Cobra. That was 1994, we sold a few but even then folk struggled with the Twin fin concept and we converted quite a few into thrusters by adding a single fin so we could clear them. They were OK for lightweights but at only 67-70 ltrs bigger sailors struggled unless it was howling. Landed my first back loop on one at Klitmoeller, then smashed my glasses, bloodied my eye and burst an ear drum after going for a double and failing, never sailed one again and stuck to a single fin.
    I think the time of the 1997 twinser was also the time Josh Angulo was riding for Mistral. And the twinser was influenced by Angulo.

Quote Originally Posted by JB:) View Post
    Steve-0

How do you set yours up? I struggle a little with my 9'6 if there is too much chop. I have found tail turns AKA longboard pivots the only way to really turn it convincingly on a wave. I haven't successfully bottom turned off the topped in a conventional sense, to the point I prefer riding it strapless.

Any guidance welcomely received.

JB
    I had the Kona Mini Tanker which is 260cm long but it didn't work that well as a good FSW board would offer faster planing and similar riding. The 10'6 is great in chop as it has deep double concave and thick EVA deck pads so is like a Cadillac and just mows through chop in comfort. I hit 25knots on it the other day in choppy water!

I ride it in good DTL wave riding conditions - which is not often i.e side/side-off and head high ground swells. It sucks in onshore as too long to deal with lots of white water from the side so don't bother unless it is x-shore. The 10'6 is just like a proper waveboard DTL but in slow motion as usually lack rig power. I use a good C3 26cm wave fin in it. I always use straps but if it is really light might have the back foot out to bottom turn. I don't tend to hit the lip for the sake of my ankles on the 10'6 but on an open face it generates speed and the bottom/top turns are great as you can commit and it cranks off the bottom really well and the top turn in x-off has plenty of torque.

I SUP surf a lot so it does need to be good wavesailing conditions to get me out on it but it is a load of fun. (I did chicken out sailing on Monday as it was logo/mast high and very light winds and the odds of going for a big swim were high )
    Last edited by Stev-0; 8th February 2017 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkarl View Post
    I think the time of the 1997 twinser was also the time Josh Angulo was riding for Mistral. And the twinser was influenced by Angulo.
    I was at Ho'okipa in '92 and tried out a custom Angulo twinzer with phazers along the bottom which are like mini concave golf ball like dimples supposed to loosen the board up or something. I spent the session mainly going sideways!