Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Adam View Post
    Nice one Jeroen.

Be sure Bourke doesn't invoice you for the extension, if he sticks it up your a##!
    Customer service like that may have some reaching for the phone to place an order

Great thread Jeronen!
    The infamous wavewriter

Quote Originally Posted by dkarl View Post
    Is the vee in the nose a design element of every witchcraft model?
    It is not a V on the V4, it is a convex combined with inverted V, so it is a kind of double convex. The V3 was the first shape to have this type of shape. Now all Witchcraft boards have lifted rails but on the V4 it is the most pronounced.

Which function does it have?
    It lifts the rails in the shoulder, combined with the inverted V, which is at itīs deepest at the front straps, it creates a lot of rocker in the shoulders (14 to 18mm (Edit: more than the centre line)) and a much straighter rocker in the centre. This straighter centre helps to still get good planing but leaves the water when the board is banked over so it does not harm turning. I donīt think there is a shape that combines that level of planing with maneouvrability. Apart from the flex tail.

Don't know other boards with such a nose vee.
    I think Basher mentioned that new Severne Nano now also has lifted rails. I got the idea back in 2002 from an innovative surfboard shaper from Capetown (the creator of the 4wfs) who did this on his surfboards, even if applied higher up on the rail, with the V3 I moved this lower to have a smoother effect and is already of use early in the turn.
    Last edited by Witchcraft; 30th January 2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

I sailed the V4 99L in Fuerteventura over Christmas and really liked it. In fact I liked it a lot more than the other WC boards I have sailed and it felt markedly different.

In particular the board really loved turning and didn't suffer from the sticky front rail that other flatter rockered WC boards I have sailed suffered from. The result is that it is actually easier to sail and turn! It could really be pushed and with no fear of the rail sticking (and this was in choppy waves at Corralejo point).

Also worth noting that even though it was 62.5cm wide and over 230 long it felt very compact under foot (maybe the narrow tail) and the width and volume was further back than my own WC boards, which makes slogging much easier. (the volume distribution and overall size felt very similar to the Fanatic triwave 99).
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Here a sideview of a Wave V4 99 and a Reaper 98 showing the difference in rocker on the rail and centre. You can see the centre rocker is much straighter and bends up more to the front where the rail has a much more spread out curve. The Reaper also has some rail lift but because of the double concave bottom (to reduce grip and absorb chop) there is not as much difference than with the V4. The back 2/3rds of the V4 has an inverted V which creates dynamic lift and grip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wave V4 99 sideview.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	14820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reaper 98 sideview.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	14821  
    Bouke

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    I sailed the V4 99L in Fuerteventura over Christmas and really liked it. In fact I liked it a lot more than the other WC boards I have sailed and it felt markedly different.

In particular the board really loved turning and didn't suffer from the sticky front rail that other flatter rockered WC boards I have sailed suffered from. The result is that it is actually easier to sail and turn! It could really be pushed and with no fear of the rail sticking (and this was in choppy waves at Corralejo point).

Also worth noting that even though it was 62.5cm wide and over 230 long it felt very compact under foot (maybe the narrow tail) and the width and volume was further back than my own WC boards, which makes slogging much easier. (the volume distribution and overall size felt very similar to the Fanatic triwave 99).
    I think that for wave riding in anything but soft mushy waves, the V4 is the best and it planes reasonably well. It is what most or all guys on Fuerte use and where wave riding is the most important, the earlier you plane and the better up wind, the more waves you can catch which is not unimportant either.

Hmmm, I was thinking the V4 has the centre of buoyancy more forward than your boards as well as the Triwave so I checked. My program gives me the COB (the green dot in the top view and the distance from the tail in mm in the dimensions table). They are very close but the V4 is a few mm more forward. Maybe the dynamic lift of the inverted V and/or the straps more forward gave you the impression of having the volume further back. The V4 99 has the same tail thickness with 2mm less tail width than your 89. My guess is that the Triwave has a (much) thicker and wider tail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rod 89 COB.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	14822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rod 101 COB.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	14823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wave V4 COB.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	14824  
    Bouke

Now you started about the Reaper....
    Can you tell a bit more?
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak