Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The Reaper is a compact shape that we have been working on for some years, Andrew Fawcett and Jonas Handekyn had some earlier versions with the bottom shape of the V4. Weīve found the wider tails with the straps back did suffer a bit in bigger waves and they were more technical to sail. Some more moderate versions that followed which were a kind of Haka ST (short tail)

which worked pretty good for good sailors wanting to cover both side shore wave riding with on shore jumping in a single board quiver. But some teamriders wanted to get something more exciting for sloppy on shore conditions so made some shorter, wider versions with less tail rocker and a V into double concave into V bottom shape to give it more control for straight line sailing and slightly rounder rails for less grip to let the tail break out easier. This is an 80L, 2128x575 XHDD which Will is testing and a 94, 2200x620 CBC for myself:

I donīt know how far they compare to other brands compact shapes. Some have a fairly similar look, others donīt.
    I donīt really like to make too wide tails and too paralel rails, a wide tail reduces your speed range in a turn and it pushes the front rail in more so to avoid it to catch you either have to put more rocker which reduces early planing, put the straps further back which reduces ease of use or limit your turns. Wave boards do need to plane without a wave as well unlike surfboards so in my opinion we should not adopt the full on Tomo shapes from surfing.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Bouke how would a 100l reaper compare to my 101?
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Hi Witchcraft, thanks for the explanaition.. I'm not the best in technical thinking.
    But I think I have to test your boards to get my own impression.
    I hope I can make it to Fuerte in March!
    I'm also very interested in the reaper for my homespot sylt.
    Last edited by dkarl; 30th January 2017 at 11:12 PM.

Interesting shape.
    I have now a 3 board quiver but thinking about going back to 2 , replacing the 96l Flextail and the Goya118 by a 104l board.
    This one sounds promising and maybe better suiting the dutch conditions as a V4 104??
    188x90kg 42y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Fextail 96l + Witchcraft V4 HDD + 2015 Goya Quad 118

2014/15/16 Hotsails Firelight 6.0 KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+Firelight3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    Bouke how would a 100l reaper compare to my 101?
    Sailing wise the Reaper is faster and looser, planing would be quite similar. Your 101 is easier and has more grip and drive on the wave. On the wave the Reaper is the opposite of the V4, the V4 gets a lot of drive of the wave and has a lot of grip and precision, probably more than any other board. The Reaper needs a better technique or windpower to make speed and is much more slippery. Without having seen one, from what I have heard the Reaper will not be very different from the Quatro Mini, when comparing sizing looking at widths rather than volume as they seem to have pumped a lot of volume in them. My 94 is 5mm wider than their 103.

We have to test more but the Reaper certainly is more sensitive to footstrap and fin tuning. This can be a good thing as you can change the character more by tuning. Moving the straps forwards and putting a bigger centre fin tames it quite a bit and visa versa.
    Bouke

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroensurf View Post
    Interesting shape.
    I have now a 3 board quiver but thinking about going back to 2 , replacing the 96l Flextail and the Goya118 by a 104l board.
    This one sounds promising and maybe better suiting the dutch conditions as a V4 104??
    I donīt really think it will be the right board for you, one of the best qualites of the Reaper is jumping and you donīt jump much anymore and also sail (prefer) side shore conditions. I would recommend a bigger flextail, which has also changed quite a bit since your old flextail with the experiences of the V4, the rocker flow has changed a lot, narrower tail, the flow of the bottom shape, strap positions. You have a more flowing style and a flextail has a lot more flow, the new ones more than the one you have, at the expense of a bit of early planing. Or even just a "normal" V4 will suit you better than the Reaper.
    Last edited by Witchcraft; 31st January 2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Bouke

Okay.
    Thanx for the quick reply. i,.m gonna think that over and make up my mind
    188x90kg 42y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Fextail 96l + Witchcraft V4 HDD + 2015 Goya Quad 118

2014/15/16 Hotsails Firelight 6.0 KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+Firelight3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak