Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Which bit of the harbour were you in Phil? I was watching the webcam occasionally & it looked beautifully flat over the Shore Road/Evening Hill side. I'll be there tomorrow unless the forecast drops off significantly.
    Loose - the opposite of tight. Lose - the one that's pronounced 'looze'.

I went to Hamworthy Park. At HP once 150m upwind it was quite good but I was on the wrong board. I should have changed but thought the wind was picking up. As usual in that sort of conditions it was Amanda on a 4.0/68l showing us the way. Only us 2 went out, a few others minced around behind the beach huts.

When I went back to Sandbanks later there were a couple of people out in that part of the harbour. It was very flat indeed once away from the wall, but looked very gusty with it. Today it was S, tomorrow SE so coming straight over the houses/apartments along the road so dont launch near there, try the bottom of Evening Hill.

Poole harbour too. I guess i was downwind of phil if you were on a North - i was on a 5.0 blue and orange blade and 89l triwave during the windy period after lunch. First time out after breaking my arm so everything felt difficult. i had forgotten what a choppy and gusty horror show the harbour can be. I was very briefly too hot when the sun came out!

If you were downwind of phil you would have been on the grass or car park at Ham Park!
    Fortunately I am nursing a sore back so I was spared the need to decide whether a strong gusty onshore southerly combined with a 2m flood tide was a good idea or not! On shore at Ham park is usually something of a trial because it typically gets broken into 3 different wind zones, one of which can be very light. The general wind strength and double chop tempts you out with a small board and sail but then you struggle to keep away from the groynes in the light wind patches. So getting kit choice right is always a bit of a gamble so good on those that made it work.

X off, & big waves forecast tomorrow! Just maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by smidge View Post
    Poole harbour too. I guess i was downwind of phil if you were on a North - i was on a 5.0 blue and orange blade and 89l triwave during the windy period after lunch. First time out after breaking my arm so everything felt difficult. i had forgotten what a choppy and gusty horror show the harbour can be. I was very briefly too hot when the sun came out!
    Not me, although I did think of going out again. I did see someone on a Severne and you looked to be going well.

I think Baiter Park might be the place to go to in strong southerly winds. We dont get them very often. I had a look yesterday after I finished at Hamworthy. There was a small wind shadow from Brownsea Island where the wind is a bit weaker, but the wind line starts at the end of the slipway where the 2 posts are if you know the place. There are no walls for the chop to bounce off. You can see the dredged shipping channels and the shallower areas away from those on the map. So launching from Baiter and sailing in the area towards Lilliput is ok. When the tide is 1m you get the benefit of being able to stand up if you fall in as well.
    Its good in a SW there as well in strong winds as chop forms more into ordered lines.
    The area circled in green off Hamworthy is best, when you get up there as the chop forms more into ordered lines.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP southerly.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	14829