Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    The sail choice is perhaps interesting.

One un-anticipated issue on the trip around Britain was that the sail took a lot of wear and tear. He was on a Tushingham Bolt and it lasted OK but by the end of the trip the window was brittle and had to be taped up when it split.
    This wear is not just because of the length of time the sail is used on the water but because it was also used as a tent overnight and never de-rigged. So it had the full glare of UV light throughout the trip, giving it the equivalent of several season's wear over just a few weeks.

Presumably on this longer trip he may need a replacement sail at some point.

If they have beefed up the sail, then I'm guessing that will mean thicker mono film in the window.
    Now back in the UK.

So, for those of us who enjoy looking at maps and exploring via Google Earth, I've just realised it's possible to track Jono's ship voyage up the coast of Norway, heading for his launch spot:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...313560/zoom:10

Not nearly as interesting as tracking Jono's actual windsurfing voyage of course, but still interesting to see what he's going to be sailing past on the way back down.

http://windsurfroundeurope.eu/blog/departure
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Looks like today will be the big day.

What amazes me (with admittedly very little raceboard experience) is the choice of 9.5m. For many years 7.5m was the short course race limit, and I would have guessed that would be the choice for going offshore in such a changeable environment. Evidently keeping planning whenever possible must be seen to be more important to progress.

I'm enjoying reading the book one day at a time, and may delay a fortnight to get into 'calendar sequence'.

Good luck Jono!

Banned
    Inspirational travels yet again, an 2 years on the board that's a fantastique feat and then some! Although I'm not as familiar with all his destined coastlines to whizz by maybe some forum members will relate to each reach as Jono ticks them off. I will read the updates with intrepidations and expect nothing less than a whirlpool,tidal races, catfish that could pass as moby, an plenty of "tent" action that surely befits a wild warrior. Happy barrelling along Jono.

Yes, he's about to start but the tracker is showing his position in a field, near the road up to the coast (on the 17th of May). Just looking at the map and his pics makes me nervous for him
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

He's on his way. Bon Voyage Jono!
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.