Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    And it seems he spent a 'night' outside, under his sail.

http://windsurfroundeurope.eu/blog/vardo
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Jono writes with that classic British understated, dry, witty, Palin-esque (Michael, not Sarah!) style. For instance, cf his description of the 'night' camping outside in -2c + windchill (-15 maybe?) and the sail plus board blowing away! That would have been enough to put most people into a strop I think.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Jono is bleeding mad and I certainly doff my cap to him, what an adventure and he must have b***s of steel, we were saying the water in Sardinia today were a tad fresh even for those wearing a wetsuit and then you read his blog, absolutely amazing and best wishes for a sucssfull journey.
    Currently retired to do more windsurfing before the body says NO!

Banned
    "heavy snow this morning" but still peel off, layer on, and vamoose. Such is the way of a wild man, they say stuff every cranny with socks but in that ol'barrel wouldn't fit a four seasons sleeping bag for -20dgr comfort but leg warmers have never sounded so appealing. I love the idea that any gust,knotch or storm that pops up it's a 9.5..An that's decided! Good travels.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Jono doing good Progress, having sailed yesterday to cover 28nm from the last tracker position.
    Tracker was not refreshing on the webpage.

I looked on the tracker - thought he was stuck there!

The one thing with his kit that stands out to me is the 9.2m sail. That is big. I guess it doesn't take much to get too hairy especially with a loaded board dragging in the water.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    That sail size on a longboard is comfortable to use possibly up to 18kt.
    In my experience 12 to 14 kt is the ideal cruising wind speed, for me I say. Even though most of the time i have been quite happy with a 10kt steady breeze and a good swell amplitud. Chop is a killer. Also winds from the aft quarter are a pain as it is very wobbly specially with loads on board.
    However 20kts is manageable if one has a contingency stop plan and one does not need to go too far.