Thread: Footsteering

Footsteering

In contrast to many others I've never tried to actively foot steer through my gybes. In stead I've focused on first easing my body weight forwards before shifting weight to the inside of the turn by pushing my hips in said direction. And it's been working great for wide fast gybes.

The idea of footsteering reappeared as I wanted to tighten my bottom turns. Even with wide straps I found that pressing harder on the toes doesn't help. It may in fact be counterproductive. As you increase the pressure on the leeside of the board it will indeed want to turn tighter. But unless the increased pressure results from first shifting more bodyweight further to the inside, the decreasing radius of the turn wants to throw your body out which then makes it impossible to maintain the pressure on the inside rail.

This is of course rather obvious. It has nevertheless taken me until recently, and then only because of a top tip from OlaH, to really understand that any tightening of a turn must start with a shift of body weight. Forget about pressing on the toes. Just let yourself fall into the turn. Increased toe pressure and tighter turning will follow automatically. Learning to do this will as a bonus allow you to sail faster (stiffer) boards and catch more waves.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 6th February 2017 at 10:43 AM.
    The infamous wavewriter

boards-Tomas thank you for sharing your discovery with us.

I guess also with the same "fall into the turn" it will also depend how you distribute your weight/forces on the front foot, back foot, mast foot while doing so. By "easing my body weight forwards before" you gave us already a hint.
    Kode Wave 82 (2014), Fanatic Triwave 89 (2017), F2 Rebel 75 (2009), F2 Guerilla 84 (2007), Skate 108, powered by Severne S-1 and S-1 Pro
    80 kg, 180 cm

Thank you Domwave! I wrote a long post about why (the heck) my ramblings should be useful to anyone but it was fortunately lost. Seeing that you ride the kodewave I'll mention that I've put the mast foot a full inch rearwards from the recommended setting.
    The infamous wavewriter