Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is windsurfing exciting?

I bet that's a nice dtl that I'll watch when I have WiFi. But you asked a question and I have two answers. 1) It's an activity with low returns to time and cost invested. For me it's way too late to pull out. And it's actually getting exciting. If I can muster guts and energy to sail down to Salinas today I may score one of my first slightly longer rides. Will probably break everything but if I can get into a taxi I'll make it back home to the ice and snow on Saturday.

2) Does it look exciting? Compared to kiting the answer is definitely not. Like most windsurfers I'm always interested to hear from people who have tried both. But I never trust their answers. Isn't getting liked after all the main goal in life? Now bring on the love!
    The infamous wavewriter

It was a rhetorical question.

That looked like a great camera angle to me, and I liked his concentration and occasional whoops. It looks real fast to me!

I never tried speed sailing. The closest was when I cut down an F2 Starlit to 52cm wide and glassed a small speed fin into it, but it was rarely the right board to be on.

And the wind turned around here and saved me both energy, limbs and gear.
    The infamous wavewriter

It might not look that exciting in the video but............

http://www.basevitessebrest.com/resultat.html

I can guarantee you my face wouldn't look like that if I was doing 36.14 knots for 500m.
    There isnt a smiley for ****inshitscared.

Brest harbour isnt flat water like West Kirby or Portland either.

Edit, my PB at Portland is only 32.07 knots for 500m and thats nice and flat in comparison.
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 9th February 2017 at 03:56 PM.

It seemed to take years for magazines to actually do tests on slalom boards and sails. I can't remember if it was Boards or Windsurf but I remember the first test I think they ever did on dedicated slalom kit...and I think it was in Dahab. The comments were that they could not believe how tiring it was and how high their average heartbeat was! If that is an indication of excitement....and excitement that is sustained for minutes at a time....then going fast on a slalom or speed board is definitely exciting........or frightening...depending on your perspective! The guys face in the video shows the level of concentration required and I would say he oscillates between a look of terror/impending doom and unparalled pleasure...probably because he has just survived that last piece of cross swell. I don't regret the few years I spend on Isonic slalom boards but I will admit to enjoying far more now a somewhat less exciting ride.

Verdict: definitely.......on speed or slalom kit.

Windsurfing remains exciting to me. Blasting about, or in waves. Anything that involves sails of 5.3 or less.

I suspect I'm now in a majority on that sail size thing.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.