Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2017 Severne Blade Video Review

Thought I'd share a very brief video review of the 2017 Severne blade I shot with Poole Harbour Watersports. If there is more interest I can add a more detailed written review of my experiences with the 2016 and 2017 Blades.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Alex Hudson; 12th February 2017 at 03:50 PM.
    Riding: Ultrakode 86 , Kode Freewave 103 , Severne Blades 4.2-5.3 , Severne Gator 6.5

Team Rider for Poole Harbour Watersports , Severne Sails UK and Starboard UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hudson View Post
    I can add a more detailed written review of my experiences with the 2016 and 2017 Blades.
    Please feel free to do so.
    Kode Wave 82 (2014), Fanatic Triwave 89 (2017), F2 Rebel 75 (2009), F2 Guerilla 84 (2007), Skate 108, powered by Severne S-1 and S-1 Pro
    80 kg, 180 cm

In my experience, the Blade is the best combination of stability, lightness and handling. Last year I went to the TWS center in Medano and tried a range of sails from pretty much every brand under the sun and I still found myself choosing the Blade over everything else.

The difference between the 2016 and 2017 models is a very subtle refinement of panel layouts and luff curves. For instance, the 5.3 now rigs on a luff of 427 rather than 432 to reduce the extension needed on a 400 mast. Other changes include the moving of the clew eyelet further down. I've used the 2017 sail several times in the 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3 sizes and I'm happy to report that they still retain the trademark Blade feel.

They are so light, maneuverable and extremely stable when the gusts hit thanks to the 5 battens. For me these factors trump a 4 batten sail any day, especially in gusty UK winds and beach breaks. The dacron panel on the sail really allows the sail to adjust to gusts and it just keeps accelerating rather than becoming out of control or twitchy in the hands. One of my favorite things about the blades is the x-ply. Although they are very light, the x-ply provides a good level of durability. All in all, the build quality of all of the Severne's is excellent.

Although many claim that 4 batten sails are the definite way forward, I stick by the Blade as i find it just as maneuverable with a better wind range and control.

If there is anything else that you'd like to know then let me know!
    Riding: Ultrakode 86 , Kode Freewave 103 , Severne Blades 4.2-5.3 , Severne Gator 6.5

Team Rider for Poole Harbour Watersports , Severne Sails UK and Starboard UK.

You've stated clearly where you're coming from so your reviews are welcome. I'd like you to talk more slowly though and choose a less noisy location. But feel free to write as fast as you can!

I support the idea of shorting the luff on the 5.3 to make it more compatible with 400 masts. Even the 2016 5.5 with it's 32 extension works great on a 400 and - for my sub 80 kg - perhaps even better than with a 430. It's lighter anyway.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 12th February 2017 at 05:20 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

That's interesting about the luff length. I think the new Blades have been tweaked off the back of the Blade pros. And my 2015 Blade Pro already rigged/rigs on a 4m mast with the recommended extension setting as 27.
    And, as it happens, when it gets really windy, I do set the extension on 28, so I suspect that's where that new measurement originates from.

The Severne luff lengths were also tweaked so that sails as big as 5.7s could rig on 4m masts. (Most wave sailors don't expect to own a 430 mast anymore.)

The Blade Pros have more poke but a bit less top end compared to standard Blades. Dunno about clew height comparisons.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

looks nice, i will allways be a 5 battern sail person. 4 Batterns is ok especially for sub 4.5m sails but any less than 4 and its BS in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    looks nice, i will allways be a 5 battern sail person. 4 Batterns is ok especially for sub 4.5m sails but any less than 4 and its BS in my book.
    Ignorance is bliss...