Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Jibe foot change

behind back foot 2:01min
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIfarz8Amw

What is "correct/school way" place, to put your front foot during foot change,behind back foot or in front back foot?
    You see in this video(above) on 2:01 min he put his front foot behind back foot and I see this techniq very often on slalom sailors.

Why then most instructors A.Cadiz,P.Hart,J.Hall.... learn put front foot in front back foot?
    How do you do foot change?

in front back foot 2:06 min..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2giqH4bff0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Wing 11; 13th February 2017 at 10:35 AM.

This how Colin (Whippy) Dixon teaches it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gybe towel.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	14902

ie both feet are angled together in the ballet 'pliette' position briefly as they cross each other (buy one of his towels and practise till perfect).

Tbh I don't really know what my feet are doing. But whatever smooth dynamic movements keep the board planing all the way through works best.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

Out in Sardinia in May for a few weeks with Colin so will be asking him to bring a towel out for me as giving up that work thing to concentrate on living life including much more windsurfing, lack of time on the water has meant I hardly ever try these as pretty ropey at them so relied on tacks to turn and when attempted are not automatic as spend more time thinking than doing!
    Windsurfing days in 2013: 42
    New toys for 2013: 120L Fanatic Gecko 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    This how Colin (Whippy) Dixon teaches it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gybe towel.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	14902

ie both feet are angled together in the ballet 'pliette' position briefly as they cross each other (buy one of his towels and practise till perfect).

Tbh I don't really know what my feet are doing. But whatever smooth dynamic movements keep the board planing all the way through works best.
    So Colin teach that front foot come in front of back foot..I think that is good techniq for smaller boards,because you have wider stance when your back foot is almost touching rear strap when railing..

But on wider slalom boards if you put your back foot almost touching front leeward strap,then you make place to put your front foot behind back foot.On this way board is easy to planning during jibe ,because back leeward/railing foot is closer to center of board,so you dont sink the back of board so much during 2/3 of turn,and also you have more "lever arm"to carve the board,bacause board is wider between front straps then rear straps..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxMqFYfH-w
    Slow down video to X0.25,gear/setting button,video speed..

On 0:44 sec he put back foot near the front leeward strap(so he not put foot infront rear strap and touch the strap,like in school teaching as) and than front foot put it behind back foot...
    Last edited by Wing 11; 13th February 2017 at 12:20 PM.

TWS method all the way for me.
    If you look at where the feet end up the TWS method is a wider stance so more stable for the rig flip and sheeting in.
    What happens next? You put your front foot in the strap and if you use the other guy's technique you have to move the feet again to get a stable stance as the feet will be very close together.

The big difference is he is teaching on dry land and starts with his front foot in front of the footstrap. Later on in the video he gybes starting with the front foot in the strap but still goes 'heel to toe'.

The other big difference is the TWS slalom board is much wider so when you move the back foot over to gybe it is further forward than on a narrower freeride board.

I always use the TWS method even on a 90l FSW.

Name:  Gybe feet.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  60.3 KB

Even in the 2nd gybe he did with his feet starting in the correct position, the back foot is too far forward and he still has a narrow stance when it comes to putting the new front foot in the strap. Maybe its easier to learn like this as keeping the weight forward helps maintain speed, but it looks wrong to me.

Name:  Gybe feet 2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  25.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    TWS method all the way for me.
    If you look at where the feet end up the TWS method is a wider stance so more stable for the rig flip and sheeting in.
    What happens next? You put your front foot in the strap and if you use the other guy's technique you have to move the feet again to get a stable stance as the feet will be very close together.

The big difference is he is teaching on dry land and starts with his front foot in front of the footstrap. Later on in the video he gybes starting with the front foot in the strap but still goes 'heel to toe'.

The other big difference is the TWS slalom board is much wider so when you move the back foot over to gybe it is further forward than on a narrower freeride board.

I always use the TWS method even on a 90l FSW.

Name:  Gybe feet.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  60.3 KB
    "If you look at where the feet end up the TWS method is a wider stance so more stable for the rig flip and sheeting in.
    I always use the TWS method even on a 90l FSW."

I agree with this but if you using TWS method on narrow 90Lfsw boards during railling phase(up to 2/3 turn) you have very narrow stance which is not good for choppy water..
    Last edited by Wing 11; 13th February 2017 at 12:59 PM.