Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing 11 View Post
    It seems that no one jibing on "school way".

F99 Anointe Questel does, the other 2 dont.

https://youtu.be/24Fsg4VeKfg

For me gybing the school way is the standard as it helps to flatten your board off and widen your stance at the critical stage which can be the difference between planning and stalling. Jibing the other way is in my book more advanced as your weight never moves forward of the straps. Like Basher says lots of variables come into it, when at west Kirby for example the water is flat and it’s easy to maintain board speed through a gybe. If you have speed in hand you can get away with the front foot to back option however if your stalling a movement forwards helps to hold it all together.

I think slalom boards have shorter planing flat sections than freeride and they also have wider tails. So compared to freeride boards, to get planing you have to bear off a bit more, keep your feet back and pump. Staying forward doesnt help. So when it comes to exiting the gybe, if you can start off with the feet in the correct place for doing that, so much the better.

In my video, the gybe at 1:11 my new back foot is further forward than the other gybes, I dont think that was on purpose. I hit a bit of chop and slow down, but as there is plenty of wind I move my back foot further back and pull in against the wind. Thats on the 90l FSW and its got a longer planing flat section, with plenty of wind I dont have to coax it gently onto the plane.

https://youtu.be/_q3zu3tfRqI?t=1m11s

Gybing my 125l Falcon, the better gybes are the ones where my new back foot is further back. Whether the gybes are better because of that or not I dont know, it may have been because those gybes it was windier and I was going faster, but I reckon its quickest that way.

https://youtu.be/Csx1Dz_v_fs

I'll try the Charlie Chaplin footwork next time out. The only board I've got single inboard straps on is my wave board. I think my old back foot will be further back going into the gybe as the board is narrower and the front strap is inboard, so the CC footwork might be an improvement. I might even be doing that instinctively already.

I actually don't think I've ever given the foot work much thought. (But see my earlier post.)

I've rather focused on the goal which is planing through. For that you need to keep the board flat and don't upset it by jumping around. Note here that it's easier to move the feet with good speed and a powered sail like when moving the back foot forwards on entry (which is why I then move it far forward) than during the sail flip or just after (which is why I then only do small steps).

If you just focus on keeping the rig powered up during most of the turn and on keeping the board flat and steady, you should be able to exit planing. Of course you need power. Except from outside gybes onto waves or flare gybes to turn around when the wind drops, I hardly ever gybe unless I'm pretty certain I'll be able to exit planing. I'll rather tack or - if I'm exhausted - just drop into the water, turn the kit and waterstart.
    The infamous wavewriter

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    In a thread with the title 'Jibe foot change' thats not great advice. Once someone has mastered the rest of the components concentrating on the foot change is important as it affects board trim.

Good point, well made.

However, my point is that you can get bogged down by concentrating on foot change when the timing of this will vary from gybe to gybe.

The goal is to keep up board speed, and that's in turn about harness the power of the rig optimally, keeping the board level through the turn, and also choosing a path for the gybe which works with waves and chop rather than plows through wavelets.

Someone at the lake today pointed out that you can now use a go pro camera to film yourself gybing and the mast head footage shows you all the stuff you actually do compared to what you thought you were doing with your hand positions, your bent knees and with your foot change.
    Now back in the UK.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post

Someone at the lake today pointed out that you can now use a go pro camera to film yourself gybing – and the mast head footage shows you all the stuff you actually do compared to what you thought you were doing – with your hand positions, your bent knees and with your foot change.
    My GoPro has been invaluable in improving my gybes.

As Basher says it shows what you're actually doing instead of what you thought you were doing. That mast arm you thought was straight turns out to be very bent and those legs you thought were bent turn out to be straight.

This stark truth means you can stop endlessly practicing doing it wrong and focus on starting to do it right.

For me, the foot change hasn't been the main thing to worry about. Committing forwards, oversheeting when overpowered and rotating the rig early have all been more crucial.

Having said that, the GoPro has shown that I don't shift my new foot far enough across the board, making it harder to carve out on my heels.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 15th February 2017 at 07:00 AM.

I've noticed a few things in my gybing looking at my videos. Front arm looks bent in my other video but I think that was down to it being quite choppy and windy, technique goes to pot slightly. Flatter water like on the inside on the sea or gybing off a bigger swell my arm is straighter.

There is something else I spotted I didnt realise I did. C'mon then gybe coaches, whats going on here?

https://youtu.be/2yHEotPYw-E