Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Phil, I'm no coach either, but noticed that you do keep looking at your sail.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 16th February 2017 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
    Phil, I'm no coach either, but you do keep looking at your sail.
    I agree. It's best to look to your exit or where you want to head to if you want to maintain speed coming out of the jibe. On the plus side at least you're not looking down at your feet. I think you jibe very nicely and consistent. Staying dry is what matters the most. The rest is just finer points for that hero jibe. How about some video of your tacks!
    Boards - Simmer Quantum V3 85L, 95L, 105L
    Sails - Simmer Blacktip 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.0, 5.3, 5.6
    Masts - Simmer RDM10
    Booms - Chinook Pro 1 Carbon

I had the same impression (but might be an issue of perspective as well) as:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    I'm no gybe coach..or expert but if that was my video I would be reminding myself to move my front hand back to the harness lines before entering the gybe.
    Do you have your front hand generally that far forward on the boom? Maybe that's also why there seems no real need for you to open your hand to let it glide towards the mast just before rotating and changing boom to boom ...

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    I'm no gybe coach..or expert but if that was my video I would be reminding myself to move my front hand back to the harness lines before entering the gybe. That is at least one aspect of my gybing that I have mostly put in place. I was curious why it felt so important to do that, when previously , especially sailing on a fsw, I had not really noticed it doing any harm just leaving my front hand where it was. What I noticed was that previously both my smallest and mid sized booms were C shaped. My mid size boom ( and of course large boom) are now the classic slalom shape. It seems with the C shape boom, even leaving the front hand where it is for reaching, it does not throttle the luff of the sail going into a gybe.....presumably because the straight section of a C boom is further away from the mast. On my slalom booms if I leave the front hand in its more forward position it is much more difficult to push the whole rig forward and then to push the luff away. The result is a big loss of speed on entry. Do I get any bonus points?

ps I have also now tried as a result of that to ensure I always sail with the front hand further back, especially on smaller sails. I think the more forward hand position is either for a sense of security, or an indication the sail is not set as well as it could be.
    I do have my front hand a long way forward. The reason why my front hand is a long way forward is because in 2015 I started suffering from tennis elbow and using longer lines and keeping my front arm straighter (so further forward) relieved some of the stress in my elbow. My left hand seems to have crept forward in sympathy as well. In the sloppy sheeting thread moving the front hand back to keep the rig forward during the gybe was mentioned. This session was from April last year so I havent got any video of recent gybes, although I dont think I've tried it.
    That session was from when I first got the 6m and I used my wave boom as I didnt realise my long boom went down to 180, I thought it was 190. So I now rig the 6m on the slalom boom with longer lines and have the boom a bit higher. The wave boom has shorter lines as I sail with my boom lower in waves/small sails.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinJ View Post
    Phil, I'm no coach either, but noticed that you do keep looking at your sail.

Your right, I do. I had a look at some of my gybes from Portland where the water is flatter and I also do the same there so its not a case of looking out for chop in Poole Harbour. Being self taught I think I must have skipped over the look towards the exit of the gybe part.

I'll try it out next time along with moving my front hand back.

Back to my original question, the answer is on the rig flip when going into a gybe on starboard tack my back hand goes under the front arm to grab the boom on the other side but on port tack my back hand goes over my front arm. So you haven't all failed the observation skills test as other things were spotted

At Portland where the water is flatter and speeds are faster, on both tacks my back hand goes under the front arm on the rig flip. On the sea its 50/50 on port tack rig flips. Odd.

The worst thing about learning to gybe is that people want definite answers.
    And, for sure, if we see a video of what you are doing then we can offer advice, perhaps based on what is taught.

But the gybe is a complex move where the goal is, at worst, not to fall in and, at best, to keep moving fast through the turn, without losing speed. If you are really good then you can gybe through rocks or avoid those standing in the water on the inside, and maybe you can even position yourself in the initial turn in anticipation of a fast exit, working with the gusts and using the chop or any broader waves.
    When you get good at gybing at your local spot, then try and do the same elsewhere. You will need to do things differently.

I rarely drop a gybe nowadays but people find my boom hand placing odd. Indeed, I gybe differently from port to starboard compared to starboard to port simply because I'm an asymmetrical sailor more used to starboard tack conditions than port tack beaches. I also had a lump dug out of my right arm a few years ago which makes that arm weaker than the other. For arm comfort, I have to 'feed the pony' on starboard tack, but that doesn't affect my ability to gybe well. Which debunks the idea that you need to have your hand palm down when going into a gybe. With some gybes you go boom to boom, with others, you might grab the mast during the rig flip.

You don't actually need to shift your back hand back down the boom to complete a fast gybe either that exaggerated movement just helps you ensure you load the backhand and therefore load the carving leg in the early part of the turn (and also in a bottom turn on a wave).
    You do dip the rig forward going into the turn, to help bear away, but at speed you might then sweep the rig backwards to tighten the turn as part of a 'power gybe' or 'slalom gybe' and so the learner might get mixed messages from watching someone else sail. My point is, that you can move the rig about quite a bit without moving your hands much on the boom. The hand position on the boom is not the important thing moving the rig backwards and forwards is. Loading your carving foot is.

And so, equally, on topic, no one can really tell you when to change your feet in a gybe. If you show us a video of you gybing then we can comment on what you seem to be doing right or wrong on that day, and for that gybe.

For the most part, people don't commit to a gybe by leaning forwards with knees bent, they sheet out when they should sheet in, they stall the gybe by standing on the tail too much half way through the turn, and they worry about the point of foot change when basically it's already gone wrong earlier.

I write this after a sailing session this afternoon in a very gusty wind. I had different power in my sail at every turn and so the path of my gybes and the timing of the foot change varied every time as well.

Top tips are therefore:

Get someone to video you or video yourself to pick up on obvious mistakes being repeated.
    Focus on committing to the turn.
    Perhaps simulate the movements on dry land.
    Think about a gybe in turns of where you will be afterwards i.e. the exit path.
    Practice a lot, booking a windy holiday somewhere, where you can practice every day. Start with flat water if possible.
    Perhaps book a coaching session it's money well spent.
    Have a mental idea of the hand and knee and body weight positions, and rig movements but don't be a slave to one or another.
    Watch others planing through a gybe and imagine yourself doing the same this is part of the way we as humans learn to do things.
    Once you can gybe one board consistently, change to another straight away.
    Last edited by basher; 17th February 2017 at 11:01 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.